Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A. How long do you let your beast warm up for before driving? I have a stock 289 2 barrel. Here in So Cals fridgid winter of 70 degrees, I have to let it warm up for a bit or she'll sputter and stall when I pull away from the first 5 or so stops.

B. Last night I started her up, warmed up for about 5 minutes and got on the freeway. Looked down and the temp guage was getting near the upper limit. I was going to pull over at the next exit, but then it started going down to normal operating range. Could that just the themostat opening up? Should I get a lower temp thermo?

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
flicktra said:
I let mine warm up to the point when the stat opens up.
Are you saying that assuming you are using a 180 stat, you let it warm up until the water temp hits 180? How many minutes lapse by?

Even in the coldest winters here, I press the gas pedal to set the electric choke, fire it up and let it idle at high rpm 1200-1500 for maybe 45-60 seconds and then off we go. It has never spit and sputtered once we take off.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
cmayna said:
Even in the coldest winters here, I press the gas pedal to set the electric choke, fire it up and let it idle at high rpm 1200-1500 for maybe 45-60 seconds and then off we go. It has never spit and sputtered once we take off.
+1 That's all I do, except drop that time down to about 15-20 seconds... :p

I would recommend making sure your choke works and is adjusted properly. Sounds like it is not.

These cars are meant to be driven, so IMHO there's something wrong if you have to wait 5 minutes before you go somewhere... :p

·
Registered
314 Posts
It's 30 deg. here in the mornings, I start mine let it idle on the choke for about 2 mins then leave. It sputters a the 1st light from the house then we good to go.

·
Registered
713 Posts
If it sputters right after you start it and you immediately start driving it, then your choke is not adjusted properly. You should be able to pump the pedal twice, then after starting, put it in gear a go without sputtering.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I was always told, in the day, that warming up a car before driving it is bad for it. That included my uncle, who was a mechanic for many decades. This was in Kansas City, Mo, where we had plenty sub-freezing mornings, some sub-zero.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
On the '73 I sold earlier this year, I waited until I could idle down from the choked fast idle. That usually only took a few minutes at the most. My other classic cars don't run, so I just jump right in them and do what I need to do...

As for the hot condition you had on the freeway, personnally I would have a look to see if I can find anything amiss--is there plenty of antifreeze, is the belt adjusted properly, if you have an electric fan was it functioning at lower speeds as it is supposed to, then check the t-stat. If you have no idea how old it is, replace it. $10 well spent.

·
Registered
127 Posts
cmayna said:
flicktra said:
I let mine warm up to the point when the stat opens up.
Are you saying that assuming you are using a 180 stat, you let it warm up until the water temp hits 180? How many minutes lapse by?

+2

One pump of the gas - start - let run for less than one minute and we're gone. Something is wrong with your choke.

Also - my guages sometimes all max-out for a second, then return to normal. I don't know why they do that. Is it only your temp guage that's behaving that way? If so, then your thermostat is probably bad.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I remembering reading some debates over this in the past in the forum. Some took the side of letting it warm up for five minutes, as having the motor at operating temperatures is best before driving and that driving with the engine cold will wear the bores out just that much quicker (done continually over the life of the engine).

Other's took the side that it is best to start driving after 15-30 seconds as letting your car sit with the choke on will wash down the cylinder walls, causing increased wear of the cylinder walls for 5 minutes. And that if you start driving shortly having after starting it, it will get up to temperature much faster.

In the winter time here in the 30-50's, I let it warm up for a couple min. Anything above that and I let it set for about 30 seconds and I'm gone.

Chaz

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
In the mornings, it is 40 or so here right now. I do one pump of the throttle, start car, kick it lightly to cut it down to the first notch from a fast idle and drive out of the garage. 300 feet and it is on the hiway and accel to 55mph, usually quick to get into traffic. The engine reaches operating temps (180) at the 3 mile point. Runs great.....

My stock gauges would do the full sweep once in a while. Never a problem but sure gives you a panic feeling when you see it.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,681 Posts
One pump of the pedal to set the choke and twist the key. It usually fires up right away. I let it idle long enough for the seat belt light to go off then kick the pedal once to lower the fast idle, stick it in gear and idle down the driveway to the street. Once there I soft pedal it through the neighborhood until the temp gauge reads in the normal range then I drive it "normally".

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe I'm just used to these new fangled cars that start and go.

The thermos a new 180. Anyone know what the actual temp is supposed to be when the gauge is just reaching "H"? (I know it'll have to be approximate) I don't like the fact that it got up that high before the thermo opened up.

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
Pump twice, fire up. Adjust seat belt, find good radio station, ( appr. 1 minute) good to go

·
Registered
674 Posts
I agree with 180Out.
Warming up your car is harmful.

Your car has the most stress on the cam and lifters at idle. The manual for my F250 says dont let it idle for long periods of time.
The Cartalk guys stated that you get better oiling if you just get in and go.

Here in Colorado, people warm their cars until the heater blows toasty. Many get tickets, because it is illegal. They say 20 cars get stolen every morning. I dont agree with the tickets but I also think its stupid to leave your car running for 20 min.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Chris,
Maybe you have air in the system. Did you burp it when you installed the stat? Did you do a stovetop test to the stat before you installed? Odds are the stat is OK.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts