Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...Well I guess they are restoration questions.

1.) My front wheels won't turn. I believe the discs are "locked". How do I go about unsticking the discs so my wheels will turn? (Granada discs up front)

2.) Any reccomendations for maintenancing the rear drums?, as they dont spin that freely either

·
Registered
781 Posts
1. You may need to replace the calipers. If they get dirt in the caliper, old fluid, the piston can stick and will not retract properly.

2. Take the drums in and have them turned. You may want to replace the rear wheel cylinders while your at it. They're cheap, they shouldn't cost you more than a rebuild kit. How do I know, I just bought rebuild kits for my rear brake cyl. After rebuilding them one leaked due to pitting in the cylinder wall. Yes I honed them first. Went to Autozone and bought replacement cylinders for $8.00. The kits were $9.00.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Depending on how long the car sat without being moved or driven. There more than likely is enough rust to cause them to "stick" in place. Try removing a wheel and using a pry bar to turn the drum of hub. You may have to work it back and forth some in order to get them to move.

It would make sense to take them apart and inspect everything for damage. Brakes are no place to take any chances.

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
Key words: "Granada', and "66 Mustang."
Thry this first, jack the car up, and remove the wheels, then see if the rotors will turn.
Your old 66 wheels might not clear the Granada calipers.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I had a stuck drum on a car that had been sitting for 10 years. I finally was able to get them freed up by using a propane torch and heating them up.

Good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts