Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
65, Feb 3 build date. Just pulled the heater box to rebuild it. It is a 2 speed. I already have a three speed box in my pile of stuff. Is it worth it to go with the 3 speed? Am I going to have to hack the harness too? I realize I need at least a new fan control switch to convert.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Seems like a waste of time to get 1 more fan speed. Just go back with the 2 speed and spend your time doing something else or drinking beer.

·
Registered
35,866 Posts
He's right. The extra speed will require rewiring half the car. You see, the 2-speed is actually a 2-speed motor, which feeds power to the appropriate motor circuit. The 3-speed setup is actually a one-speed motor, and the control grounds the motor through a set of resistors. The firewall plugs, seemingly the same, are actually quite different.

·
Registered
997 Posts
My car was a basket case when I got it and got a lot of parts with it and 4 or 5 heater boxes with it so how do you tell if its a 2 speed or 3? Build date?? It is a 65 A code..

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On the cases, if you have the resistor pack (located on the front), then that is a three speed. Blank front case is a two speed. Change over from the catalogs is 4/1/65, so use your build date.

·
Premium Member
4,356 Posts
If you're not sure which case to use with your wiring, find the switch. On the 3 speed, OFF is all the way to the left, then 1 2 and 3 speed positions.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
My 67 only has a 2 speed.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
On the cases, if you have the resistor pack (located on the front), then that is a three speed. Blank front case is a two speed. Change over from the catalogs is 4/1/65, so use your build date.
What catalog are you referring to?

·
Registered
35,866 Posts
The Ford Master Parts Catalog.

·
Registered
997 Posts

Build date is Feb so I guess i have a 2 speed...

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So's mine. Feb 3.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts