Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to start my newly rebuilt engine. 1st question, can I start the engine and bypass the ignition switch which doesn't seem to be working, if I hook a remote starter on will she start. Assuming it can, I cranked the engine a couple of times with the remote starter and big puffs of white smoke came out of the carb, what could this mean? Any suggestions, or help, I'd like to start the engine and then turn my attention to the ignition switch and inside wiring.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've checked it a couple of times it appears correct. I had my distributor out I thought I put it back in right maybe I didn't, how can I tell if it not timed correctly?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Rotate the engine until no 1 cylinder is at TDC; then make sure that the rotor is pointing at the wire from no1 sparkplug. After that, check position of wires in rotor cap fit with firing order. Good luck!

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
if she spits fuel out of the carb and backfires then she is out of time. not sure about smoke though. my guess would be she is out of time. if your fingers are small enough, stick your finger in the number one spark plug or use a screw driver and turn the engine and when the cylinder is on its way up to the top then drop the distributor in. they are easily installed one tooth off so recheck it once it is in. i did mine about six times before i got it on the right tooth. just have patience

1 - 5 of 5 Posts