Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the power tour now and this is the longest ive driven my car since it's been assembled. I currently have a champion 3 row 20" with a 2200 CFM pusher fan. Well, while heading to OKC, sitting in traffic in 95* weather, my flex-o-lite controller gave up. We hard wired the fan to run all the time on high to get going. Problem is, today while sitting in traffic, the fan really struggled to keep it cool.

So here's where im at: I purchased the contour fans thinking i had a 24" rad but i didnt. Im thinking about getting a 24" rad but i'm not sure how it mounts up as i dont have the brackets. mine bolts right to the wall. So is there a way without spending $100 on brackets to mount the 24"?

I talked to one guy who had the same problem. he put his mechanical fan back on to help pull air, while the elec fan pushed. Ideas on this?

·
Registered
35,353 Posts
The 24" radiator sits in 2 saddles and rubber insulators that bolt to the diagonal reinforcements between the front subframe rails and front crossmember. The upper is retained by a one-piece bracket with 2 saddles and insulators that bolts to the core support. FWIW, in my honest opinion 2,200 cfm is way not enough airflow.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I don't like pusher fans, they impede air flow to the radiator from any type of movement, wind or motion.

A few people have the 24" radiators with the contour set up, not familiar enough with the 69 cars to know if you need to adjust the driveline rearward at all to get the right amount of clearance.

If I had another go, I would jam a 24" in my 66 and run the contour set up. I have a 20" and even with adj motor mounts, Z ray crossmember and shortened driveline/T5 combo, I will still be cutting my radiator support about 1" to get the 5/8" I need to be clear of the water pump pulley and center the fan in a shroud.

OEM fans (Taurus, Contour, Volvo etc) IMO are way more robust in motor and airflow than the aftermarket offerings (unless you drop $400 or more). Most of the above options can be had from Rockauto sub $200 new. My 16" Volvo was $94 I think (early 90's 850/960)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts