Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently torn apart my 66 stang's head, rebuilt it, and slapped it back on my block. When putting it back together I damaged the threads for the tube to be inserted into. Its on the left side nearing the front of head underneath the intake manifold. It appears to be a heater core line, as it passes through the plate underneath the carb and then into the firewall. I cant find the replacement parts anywhere, so I thought I'd give asking the internet a try. Thank you.

This is what it looks like.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Let me look on mine this weekend and see how hard it would be to take off. If it’s not bad, you can just have it (I upgraded to a 289 so my 200 is just sitting in storage).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me look on mine this weekend and see how hard it would be to take off. If it’s not bad, you can just have it (I upgraded to a 289 so my 200 is just sitting in storage).
Really? Wow, thank you I appreciate it. Ive been looking everywhere for a replacement. I could certainty jerry-rig it to work but dont want to have to go down that route.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
These parts are pretty universal. Thread size should be correct. You may have to cut the end under the threads off, but it should work. If the part that threads into the engine isn't the correct size, you can find plumbing adapters at your local hardware store.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Check out what Frankie posted and if it’s what you need then I may not have to dig into it. If you still need me to take a look, let me know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These parts are pretty universal. Thread size should be correct. You may have to cut the end under the threads off, but it should work. If the part that threads into the engine isn't the correct size, you can find plumbing adapters at your local hardware store.

Thank you, I'm a bit new to the whole tearing apart your car and putting it back together without breaking anything. haha!
I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I was just down at the storage unit and couldn’t find the part you have. I found one that looked similar but didn’t have the 90 degree bend. Maybe there’s a difference between your 66 and my 67. Or yours has A/C or something. I don’t know.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I'll take a look in my collection today and get back to you. I have parts from a '67 and they might be the same (hopefully).

·
Registered
35,476 Posts
I'm confused. The I6 intake is on the right side.

What you have there is an inverted flare fitting on a tube, and a common street elbow.

This is the factory-style heater hose fitting I'm familiar with.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
my suggestion would be to head to your local hardware store and find something similar that you can use. that looks like what the PO did.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
My 67 has a straight piece of pipe sticking out of there, nothing so fancy as that bent piece. So if you can't find that one a straight pipe can work just as well.

Here's a closeup of the part from the bottom when I had the head off.

·
Registered
35,476 Posts
The small hose nipple is correct for the RH side.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
I would say that he PO got a little creative. The curved pipe looks to be the water heater fitting used from 68-70 on big block motors, and they used the 45 degree adaptor to fit it to your 200 motor.
https://www.npdlink.com/product/connection-heater-hose-on-intake-manifold-90-degree/103129?backurl=search/products?search_terms=C2OZ-18599-B&top_parent=200001&year=

The adaptor was also typically use don big block motors from 67 into early 70s.

You should have either the small short fitting or the long one shown by 22 GT. It depends on what accessories you have. I know with AC you have to have the long one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The curved elbow was for 6 cylinders with Air-conditioning as the straight pipe and hose would butt up against the compressor.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
The curved elbow was for 6 cylinders with Air-conditioning as the straight pipe and hose would butt up against the compressor.
Interesting, I‘ve never seen a pic of that before. Thermactor engine had a similar pipe but it was longer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts