Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not really dangerously hot, just hotter than I think it should be. For some history, 8 years ago it was running about the same temp as it is noe. I took the radiator in to a local radiator shop, and he cleaned out, but did not rod it out. After that it ran as cool as I feel it should. Was good till last summer when I noticed it getting hotter than I normally like to see it. Last week I took the radiator out again and took it to a different shop because the old one had retired. He rode it out and told me it was pretty dirty. Figured that should do the trick. Put the 160 thermostat back in and drove it today. 90 degrees out, which is normal summer temp. in Nebraska. Runs the same temp on the gauge as before Roding out. It runs about 3/4 of the way up on the gauge. I know that isn't really hot, but is not normal for this car. Forst started to drive, the temp climbed to just about where I would figure 180 would be, and then obviously the therm opened and it dropped to where I always think 160 is. Then it sloooowly went up to what I figure is around 200 or better. I only drove about 15 miles. What should be my next course of action? Maybe try to flush the block with some vinegar??

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
If it persists, I would remove the head and check out all of the coolant passages and flush them all out and check for debris..You may have a blockage in there...

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Lack of maintenance over the years. And the thermostat should be 190 or 195 degrees, definitely not 160. Also check radiator pressure cap. Make sure it holds pressure. Believe should be 13lbs. Try a backflush. Get a radiator filter like a Gano or at least a nylon stocking and clean out periodically until stuff stops coming out.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
You might want to try temporarily wiring in an aftermarket gauge with actual numbers on it just so you can get an idea how it's actually running.

The stock gauges aren't the most accurate in the world, but yours running at 3/4 of the way up is way off from the way mine works (67 200 in Florida). Mine generally sits at 1/4 to 1/3 of the gauge not 3/4. You might need to remove the sender and clean it and put it back in. It might have a bunch of teflon tape on it or something making it not ground correctly.

Speaking of grounds you might just want to make sure your engine to battery and engine to firewall grounds are clean and tight just for good measure since they could affect how the gauge reads and might make it look like it's running hotter than it actually is.

·
Registered
742 Posts
What everyone else said. Plus if your radiator was pretty dirty your engine block may also have sludge. There is a drain on the passenger side between the starter and exhaust if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I checked a couple things today. I checked the timing, and the vacuum advance, and they are fine. I also checked the temp gauge against a digital meat thermometer and the gauge is reading correct. Although it didn't go over 193 degrees, so I guess it isn't actually hurting anything. BUT, as I said originally, I have a 160 thermostat in there, and it really should run cooler except that obviously the cooling system can't handle it. I think next I will try to use flush to clean the block etc more.

·
Premium Member
1967 Mustang coupe
131 Posts
Get a radiator filter like a Gano or at least a nylon stocking and clean out periodically until stuff stops coming out.
I've heard this before, but now i'm curious. Where does this (the stocking) get installed? Feed or return? Might give it a try.
DrC

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've heard this before, but now i'm curious. Where does this (the stocking) get installed? Feed or return? Might give it a try.
DrC
When I flushed my cooling system with vinegar awhile back, I cut a leg out of a borrowed pair of pantyhose and slipped the cut open end over the inlet fitting on the radiator and flipped the rest inside the unit so as to allow it to be held in place with the radiator hose and catch any rust particles flowing in.

·
Registered
35,460 Posts
When I flushed my cooling system with vinegar awhile back, I cut a leg out of a borrowed pair of pantyhose and slipped the cut open end over the inlet fitting on the radiator and flipped the rest inside the unit so as to allow it to be held in place with the radiator hose and catch any rust particles flowing in.
Borrowed? You aren't considering giving it back, are you?

The OP needs to reinstall the 190° thermostat, which the engine is designed to use. Putting in a 180, 160, 120, whatever cannot make the radiator work better, only makes the engine work worse.

And find out what the real temperature of the engine is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I am still going to flush it out, but the largest part of my problem I found when I took off the thermostat housing to remove it for flushing. When putting it back together after putting the radiator back in I somehow, Like a real novice dummy, put the thermostat in backwards. Don't know why it worked as good as it did. Runs much cooler now. The actual temp of the water in the radiator is now about 180 degrees.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Borrowed? You aren't considering giving it back, are you?

The OP needs to reinstall the 190° thermostat, which the engine is designed to use. Putting in a 180, 160, 120, whatever cannot make the radiator work better, only makes the engine work worse.

And find out what the real temperature of the engine is.
I offered but she weirdly didn't seem eager to hop on that...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts