Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in the middle of an engine swap. My car is (1968 with 200ci manual transmission), donor (1968 with 200ci AUTOMATIC transmission).
I plan on keeping it manual so I know there are some things I’ll need to transfer over from the donor car.
The separator plate from my car (manual transmission) won’t seem to fit onto the donor engine because the metal dowels/stud placement are in different locations so the holes don’t line up for he plate to sit flush.
Is it necessary to use the manual tranny separator plate or can I use the plate from the automatic? Here are pictures of the plates and the dowel.

·
Premium Member
13,233 Posts
6 cylinder engines are supposed to have 3 bolt starters. The MT block plate in the top of your photo only has 2 bolt holes. The AT block plate has 3 holes as expected. What's up with that?

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Are you sure the donor engine is a 200? What is the casting number on both blocks?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
You can have a 2 bolt starter on a 200. ive got one.

Original poster: can you pull the alignment pin out of the bell? Get something like vise grips. Use all parts for manual stuff for manual trans install. Don’t forget to install pilot bushing in the back of the crank. Make sure you have the frame bracket for zbar installed before stabbing trans...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can have a 2 bolt starter on a 200. ive got one.

Original poster: can you pull the alignment pin out of the bell? Get something like vise grips. Use all parts for manual stuff for manual trans install. Don’t forget to install pilot bushing in the back of the crank. Make sure you have the frame bracket for zbar installed before stabbing trans...
****, this is getting more complicated than I thought LOL. Not sure what all those parts are. But if I remember when I was taking stuff apart, are the pilot bushings different between AT and MT? Could I use what’s already on the donor (AT). From other forums I’ve been told to just transfer over the fly wheel, separator plate and clutch

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,175 Posts
****, this is getting more complicated than I thought LOL. Not sure what all those parts are. But if I remember when I was taking stuff apart, are the pilot bushings different between AT and MT? Could I use what’s already on the donor (AT). From other forums I’ve been told to just transfer over the fly wheel, separator plate and clutch
automatics don't use pilot bushings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I’ll do is take a picture of the manual parts I pulled off my engine and check in with you guys if that is everything I’ll need to install in donor engine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts