Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey mustangers... I've owned several mustangs, but never one with the 200 cubic inch 6 cylinder. Will an AOD transmission from a 88 Mustang 5.0 bolt up to the 200? Also..I'm assuming this car has a 8" rear end. What gear ratios are available for this rear end. Anybody know where I can get some parts to pick up the hp on this little motor... like a cam, headers and an intake? Thanks for helping....Dave

·
Registered
468 Posts
Dont know about the tranny, but the rear end is not an 8 inch. It is a 7.75 inch. And it is an integral carrier rear end, which is a PITA to fix if it breaks. Ask me how I know haha.
but the inline 6 is great little motor. You treat it right and it will run forever.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Dont know about the tranny, but the rear end is not an 8 inch. It is a 7.75 inch. And it is an integral carrier rear end, which is a PITA to fix if it breaks. Ask me how I know haha.
but the inline 6 is great little motor. You treat it right and it will run forever.
Welcome to the forum. I know another MustangDave, he's from Ma...

I'm not sure of the fitment, but will say that setup will need a gear change. I have a 5.0 with an AOD and a 3.00 rear ratio, and it's a dog. I would factor an axle swap with the aod, or consider the T-5 manual, as that will work better with the 2.79 and 3.00 rear ratios.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
For parts, go here:

Ford Six Performance Home/Index

Be careful, you can spend a lot of money on these engines and still be trying to achieve stock V8 power. They are fun, though.

The rear is a 7.25" ...or something like that. My old hot rod friend couldn't believe a Mustang would have anything less than an 8" and he looked it up in an old manual from the 60's. The manual only talked about the 8" rear, not the I6 rear. I'm still not sure that I have him convinced otherwise. I don't think you can do much with gear ratios for this rear. You can easily upgrade to an 8" with five lug axles expand your wheel choices. A disk brake conversion up front can complete the five lug axle swap.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
classicinlines.com for your parts and research. fordsix.com for a good technical forum. Without dropping to 4:11 gears, the AOD will be a waste of time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i was told there were only two different gears for that rear load axle. 3.20 and 2.83, i'm sure they would be hard to find either way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts