Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the 6 cyl out Yesterday and the Gauge read really low. I need to double check with mechanical gauge but if not gauge what am I looking at.
BTW I did compression check and all cylinders fall between 164 and 174 - 5 above 170. Head also rebuilt less than 10K miles. Am I just looking at pump(if not gauge) or what other tests could I do?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Take a look at the stem going from the oil pump to the distributor. Do you hear a knock? Take a look behind the cam plate. I had a piece of metal stuck behind it one time on a Pinto with a 302 that belonged to my uncle years ago. That kept the oil pressure down to nil. Since you have it out get the torque specs on the motor, drain the oil, flip it over and remove the oil pan. Get some plasti-guage from the auto supply shop and take the caps loose one at a time. Dry them up with some Lacquer Thinner and place a strip of the plasti-guage on the crankshaft. Put the cap and bearings back on and torque it back down. Take it loose again and see what the clearances. It will mash the plasti-guage out and you can then see what the clearance is. There is marking on the tape, It’s self explanatory. They should not exceed .030” clearance. If they are, you are hearing a knock most likely. If you don’t find anything wrong here replace the pump. I say do all of this since you have it out.
Brent

·
Registered
977 Posts
Sorry for all the typo's. It's a little hard to read. I was conquering more than one thing at time as usual. I only work on one thing a time on the car though.

65 Mustang coupe 302 w/ a 351W cam. I hate the firing order of the 302. The car originally came with a 289 2V. Someone sold it before I got the car. O well.
Brent

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
"Had the 6 cyl out." The car out (for a drive) or the engine out of the car? How low is low? On my 200ci it reads a little above the two hash lines on the left side of the gauge. I've had no problem. What grade oil you using? Wouldn't hurt to change oil and filter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts