Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering several possibilities for engine replacement in my 65 coupe. Currently the car has a 170ci with a 3sp std. (Someone switched it from the original 200ci) I was wondering if a 250 ci engine from a '69 would be an easy switch. Can I use my existing tranny, wiring, engine mounts, etc. Or will all of that have to be switched. Also what kinds of power gains would I expect if I switched to the 250ci?
Thanks for any help
Matt

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Matt, here's a great website to check out for lot's of info on this: home.cfl.rr.com/mustangsix

I'm dropping my new 250 into my '68 next week once I finish assembling it. The power upgrade will be very noticeable. Afterall - it's 25% more motor! If you do it though make sure to use the right parts, late model 250 head, Duraspark Distributor, Comp 260 cam, Carter YF one barrel, etc...

You will have to change your bellhousing, starter, torqe converter, water pump, and alternator bracket. There are a few smaller details but the website goes into them better. Well worth the extra torque IMO. Were talking a 3.125" stroke versus a 3.906" stroke...

Wanna know how to make it go fast? http://pub41.ezboard.com/bfordsixcylinderperformanceforum

John

[color:blue]'68 Coupe
250/C4, 221 Argentine Head
Breakaway Converter, 9", 3.50's/T-lock</font color=blue>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Al - they're link is directly opposite from the way EzBoard works...

John

[color:blue]'68 Coupe
250/C4, 221 Argentine Head
Breakaway Converter, 9", 3.50's/T-lock</font color=blue>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts