Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all.
I found out that the bolt is a special torque bit which i have in my tool set but then i tried to bust it loose going righty tighty, lefty loosey... then found out it is very likely a reverse threaded bolt which means righty loosey , lefty tighty... so with my breaker bar i attached to my ratchet and put lots of force on the bolt turning CLOCKWISE to loosen.. am i doing all of this right?
The bolt hasnt budged once and i sprayed some rust and carbon inhibitors on the face of the bolt and everything i could that was exposed....
tried it again 45 minutes later and somehow ended up slipping which kind of stripped the star pattern inside the bolt.. not getting a good grip inside anymore.
What do you guys recommend i do at this point? would it be safe to heat it up with a torch and beat it with a hammer to knock some of the rust loose? I have a big job starting my work tomorrow at 7 and my life is nearly ending over this BOLT!

·
Premium Member
10,074 Posts
Recently I was replacing the tensioner pulley on a '91 Explorer 4.0L. Only the pulley bearing was bad so I got my ratchet and a 15mm socket and gave a heave-ho Lefty Loosey pull on the ratchet. The bolt was turning but it wasn't backing out. UhOh- it's a left hand thread bolt that screws into aluminum. So I got to replace the entire tensioner assembly. The bolts attaching it to the engine were right hand thread. I'd bet yours is the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Once again this is NOT the bolt inside of the pully... it is the bolt that sits inside of the tensioner assembly.... its a torque bit T-55 ... just stripped the insides 2 minutes ago

·
Premium Member
10,074 Posts
Once again this is NOT the bolt inside of the pully... it is the bolt that sits inside of the tensioner assembly.... its a torque bit T-55 ... just stripped the insides 2 minutes ago

Re-read what I said. The bolt in the center of the pulley is left hand thread. The bolts that attach the tensioner assembly to the engine are right hand thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts