Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in a Ford dealership today and in the showroom was the new 2003 supercharged Cobra, which looks very nice. The engine looks like it's stuffed in the car under the hood. So I look at the window sticker and see that it costs $35k, then I see the sticker next to it with the "dealer add-ons" or whatever.
$10,000 more because of "adjusted market value. So total price was $45k for a Mustang.

Then I walked outside and there was a new SVT Focus. $5,000 more for the same reason.

No thanks, Ford dealer.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The always wonder about the people who are willing to pay for that extra add-on, I heard that people were, or are paying way more than the sticker price for a thunderbird. They got to have it. But, I think the car goes down in value atleast $15 grand when they drive it off the lot, because on resale, the value (the money above and beyond the sticker price) does not hold.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I can't imagine paying sticker price for a Focus (or as they're affectionatly known in our family after renting one ... the OutOfFocus), SVT or not, let alone $5k over sticker price.

And if I was going to pay that kind of money for a Mustang, it would have to be for a Saleen or Roushe, where at least it's been gone through by a company that remembers how to make cars *LOL*.

G

·
0 Posts
Its is unfortunate that there are dealers like that but it is the fault of the self absorbed image driven consumers that have more money than brains that enables this kind of pricing.
You did the correct thing in the face of that,You walked out. If and when joe consumer wakes up and does the same that practice will end.
Our local dealer was doing the same thing(dealer add ons).
His marketing people told him it was the thing to do, now after 40 yrs in business he has lost the dealership. The new managment is discounting the cars and doing quite well

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"And if I was going to pay that kind of money for a Mustang, it would have to be for a Saleen or Roushe, where at least it's been gone through by a company that remembers how to make cars *LOL*. "

It's funny you should mention Roush because in the same showroom this dealer has several Roush mustangs. One of them was the 360R or something like that, supercharged and all this other stuff on it. All of them were a lot of money but somewhat close to the Cobra's price.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Supply and demand....

I have taken 5 orders for the new Z car from Nissan, the 350Z. I have held the price to MSRP only. I don't like dealer mark-ups either, but sometimes they can be justified.

As far as holding value.... the V8 Mustang is a bargain...sure in the first few years they depreciate, but have you tried to find a clean 93 Cobra around? The prices are near the original MSRP or selling price!!!

SVT dealers PAY Ford EXTRA, for the right to sell SVT vehicles. We also sell Fords, and T-birds still bring $5000 over sticker, but I think those days are going by the wayside. P/T crusier did the same, the New Beetle...the list goes on.
If the market bears $5000 over, why shouldn't the dealer get the profit? If a customer can walk in, and buy a car for 30,000, but the market value is 40,000, why should the dealer give up the potential profit margin??
This is a rhetorical question, as I stated I do not favor dealer mark-ups either.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
IIRC Ford came out and discouraged dealerships of tacking on such charges on the new T-bird, but I noticed last week a local dealer taking on an extra 10k!... Yep some dealers do it. I'd go somewhere else; there are plenty of buyer's clubs and on-line sales venues that allow a consumer to buy such items at a minimal mark-up.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
This is nothing new. Those of us old enough to remember when the original Honda Accord came out in 1976 will remember that the dealers quickly realized that they had a hot car on their hands and they tested the market for all it's worth. My most memorable gouge however was in 1990 when the Acura NSX first came out. I looked at it...real nice car...but the local dealers acted like it was made out of gold (IIRC a $60,000 car with a $30,000 mark up for a total of $90,000 freaking dollars). I passed on the opportunity to bend over and went over to the Porsche dealer and got a $62,000 + or - Carrera 2 for $7500 BELOW sticker...no regrets. I even remember seeing a piece in the local newspaper about a guy who actually bought an NSX at that super-inflated price and was actually proud of having done so. Today that same NSX is worth about the same as the Porsche. I wonder if the reporter who did the original story is interested in re-interviewing the guy to see if he is any less clueless today.

G

·
0 Posts
I Agree with boss1. Supply and Demand.

But, if EVERYONE refused to pay more than sticker price for a vehicle, then the dealership would not be able to overcharge.

If you think 10K is bad, i know the sales manager of my local ford dealership and he told me that they have confirmed they are getting a GT40 and the owners are going to mark it up 50K!!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Ok, I have never bought a new car before, so I'm pretty clueless here, but (this is not BS) my boss has agreed to buy me a 2003 Cobra as a company car if I can get one near $35000 (how cool would that be!?!). Are y'all saying that I can't get one anywhere near $35?
That would really suck!

G

·
0 Posts
Exactly! No thanks. This is how they repay us for our loyalty! I'd buy another house. Just think of the poor souls that buy into the hype & lose all that dough! For that kind of money I'd but a good used Viper...sorry. $45K sure buys a few good classics huh? Think I'll stick it out, was told the same on a new Marauder. I'm thinking salvage pool, 2001 Focus, 5.0 H.O. swap kit... wonder if it'll fetch $45K?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts