Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a while ago about the $10,000 extra a local Ford dealership added to the sticker on a 2003 Cobra coupe. Today I was at the same dealer and they had a 2003 Cobra convertible in the showroom. This time they wanted $15,000 extra for the current market value. Total price was a little over $54,000. The coupe was still in the showroom too, so I guess people aren't lining up to pay $10k more for it (or they just don't have the $).

btw, I haven't seen any new 2003 Cobras on the street yet. I guess now I know why.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
You see that whenever you have a limited production vehicle. MSRP goes out the window. Back in January, I was talking to someone at a local Ford dealership, and he told me that they had received two (2) new Thunderbirds and sold them for ~$48000 each. MSRP was $35 or 37K, depending on if you wanted the vert or removable hardtop. It's a money maker for the dealers.

Steve

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
So, doing a little higher math (54-15=39) you're saying the new 2003 Cobra convertible has an MSRP of $39K? Wotta rip! Even the MSRP is a crappy deal. Why in the world would somebody in their right mind pay Porche Boxter prices for a Ford? Do you think the turbocharger cost Ford that much extra to engineer into the basic Mustang design? Why would the dealers hesitate to hose the public when Ford is leading the way?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I work part time at a Ford dealership in Seaside Ca. You can buy the new T-birds any day of the week for $ 35 to $37 K. They are not a SVT dealer buy they say a ' 03 Cobra could be had for $36 K. The dealerships that are charging a dealer mark-up are just ripping the people, that don't know any better , off ! TOM

·
Registered
952 Posts
Boxter for 39K??? Where??? Point me in that direction. How about 65K. Seriously 39K is just about average for a new car. I however would not let some dealer hose me down for 15. NO WAY NO HOW

1 - 8 of 8 Posts