Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the best way to do this conversion,buy new harness from somewhere if that is possible or cut the factory one up. any help???

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I don't know of anyone making a harness compatable with the '03 Cobra motor. It will be a complete custom swap, with very little experienced knowledge from any where to help you. Probably the best approach is to start with a factory harness and computer and do what you need to get it to fit. With all the integrated systems it'll be hard to figure what you can leave out and what needs to be included, because by '03 the computer was getting feedback from things like emmission system valves and the A/C compressor as well as the theft deterent system. Leave something out or hook it up so the computer gets the wrong input and it won't run. You might be able to get an older 4V computer (like a '93-'94 Mark VIII) to run it with some custom programing. That might simplify the wiring some but it still won't be easy and there aren't many people capable of tapping into the ECM.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Ron,
Send me a private e-mail or give me a call, I'll answer all your questions. No pressure to buy! :shocked:

check out our latest 03 Cobra engine swap here;
67 fastback 03 Cobra project

and a little eye candy
http://www.dvsrestorations.com/azure/clearance5.jpg

Dave

·
Registered
977 Posts
What ECM did you use?

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
Dave,

I see that you have it listed as a Ford Racing Cobra Crate Engine. I thought Ford Racing and SVT weren't offering the terminator engines as crate engines. Also, is it true that the 2003 motors are known to spit out spark plugs? Something about only having three threads per plug, but on 2004 engines they have 9 threads per plug?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
We are using a stock ECM on this application. Ford did offer the 03 terminator motors a couple of years ago. This is the 03 unit, not the 04 unit.

Dave

·
Registered
749 Posts
The 03's CAN spit out the plugs....I believe they had 4 threads while the 04's have 9.

That said, there are enough 03's in the 9's that I wouldn't worry too much about. Just check the plugs occasionally...it takes 20min to do.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've done it and have helped many others do it as well. It's fairly straightforward these days. I use the factory ECU with a chip and some programming and sell a complete harness kit. You don't use an inch of the factory harness.

Drop me a line if you'd like to chat and I can run you through it.

-Pete

http://reenmachine.com/shop/home.php?cat=262

1 - 9 of 9 Posts