Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I own a Honda Civic and I've fixed it up a little, I have gone to the Superhonda.com message boards to learn some things. Today someone posted about the new supercharged Cobra and how it is going to kick butt on the street. The main point was this: For $35,000 you get 390 hp - Best bang for the buck.
Some "import guys" immediately gave the car respect. 390 hp from the factory deserves respect. Of course, there were the idiots who knocked the car immediately. What I've learned from the thread on that message board (which doubled in size as I was reading it, and is probably tripled by now) is that some people in the "import scene" have several misconceptions of Mustangs and Cobras.

They are:

1. That Cobras "cannot turn." In other words they cannot handle at all. I guess the kids don't realize that it has had independent suspension for several years now.

2. That "big" V8s like the 4.6 "only have" 390hp with a supercharger. How pathetic. (sarcasm)

3. Mustang transmissions are junk compared to Honda transmissions. What do you expect when your Honda makes 98 lb/ft torque.

4. The new Cobra is junk and will fall apart, my '95 *insert import make and model here* with XXXk miles and with $XX,000 in mods will kill it, Ford technology is old, Mustangs are for old people, Mustangs are ugly, "I'd rather have a Honda S2000," etc.

I am guessing that these kids
A. have never ridden in a V8 mustang or other fast car.
B. keep getting beaten by V8 mustangs in their Accords.

I am hoping that people like us in the mustang hobby can help the youth of America. If we can't get them to learn anything in school, we can at least get them to learn about classic and new cars that are fast and have class. I have realized that every time I drive my '67 coupe around town, people will see it, and I am advertising for the classic car hobby. Hopefully there are kids that see my car and say "I'd like one of those" instead of "Wow I really dig that new Kia."

Because of seeing that thread I have decided to work on my mustang tonight so it can get back on the road as soon as possible.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Poor misguided youth... If I remember the Car and Driver report the 2003 out skidpads a Vette.
A riceburner MIGHT beat it on a parking lot autocross (only if it has no straight) but thats it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
A lot of people like to bash the Mustang calling it low-tech or *******, or whatever. I don't think they've noticed the DOHC modular v-8's of today, and the fact that the Cobra's have indy rear suspensions now, not to mention a 6 speed. Forget the Japanese cars, the Cobra Mustangs appear to have the BMW M3 in their crosshairs. I heard something on Hot Rod TV the other day that many new Cobras are reported to be putting out around 370 horsepower AT THE REAR WHEELS!

I do enjoy tasteful cars of any make and model. I wish people could be the same and just respect each other's machines. You can tell the misguided ones out there because they're the ones that make their cars look stupid, and get on forums and bash other car makes. The one's who can actually respect something other than what they have/like, usually have pretty sweet setups.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
well here it is from a kids point of view:

First off, its not the all the youth of America that are like this. I have had older men in civics pull up along side of me and try to rev their engine and race. They are the people I just laugh at. so don't say its just kids. Its everyone.

2nd off,
There is this little thing called jelousy. Yea you heard of it before? well good. Because that what these people have. I see this all the time. For example since i am a kid, yes a kid. I am into the Xbox and playstation and all. And well all of my friends think every system sucks except the one they have. This is all jelousy. They want to have it all. But don't have the funding. So they bash the other guys. How many times have YOU been talking smack about a vette because you can't afford one? But your mustang is the best because you can and do own one.

JMO from a kid's point of view.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Pa1968stang & Sportsroof1970.... You are totally correct! Why do people talk bad about other makes of cars. I like most all cars. Not all mind ya, but most. I have a 66 Mustang, daughter has a 94 Accord, son has a 97 Prelude & a 68 Mustang that he just bought two months ago. Each car has it's good & bad points. I saw a blue 68 Camero today that was beatiful. And I really like the Chargers & 'Cuda's.
After I posted new pics of my 66, my son's 97 Prelude was in the background. A VMF user emailed me telling me that he liked my 66. But, I needed to get rid of that ricer! I wasn't real nice in my reply, saying that that wasn't a ricer. A ricer is a car that has all the looks & stickers, but doesn't have the stuff. I told him that that 'Lude has cams, header, NOS, intake, high performance coil & wires (Accel).
I've noticed that alot of VMFer's talk about racing imports & how they don't understand or like them. Around here the imports & Classic car owners get along fine. All of my kids friends really like my 66 & I like most of their cars, because I know that they put alot of time & money into them just as we do.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
It's my thinking that 2 heads are better than one, get it. 'Also kids like to off adults with brain dead stunts like putting a expensive and way too big muffler that could flow 10 times what the car can. My brother has a 98 mitz GTS turbo that has been reworked by texas turbo and my truck will out run it. Ok my truck is a 93 lightning ( a red neck low tech piece of junk) . Oh yea that same low tech red neck machine beat a honda GNX auto crossing. The import crowd at work aviods racing it. They don't know what a muscle car is and that's our fault for not giving more rides. I don't think I'd take one on with the 1970 mustang in a auto cross. The polyglases may have been good in there day and today is not there day. Just let them try something in a straight line.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
"Mustangs are for old people."
Well, how many early Mustangs you see on Friday or Saturday night and how many on Sunday buffet. We need to show those kids what hot rodding is and not just cosy old peoples cars. However, today handling is important. Sloppy suspension and crappy tires just don't cut it. We already can outrun them with the torque advance, let's aim for outbraking and outcornering ricers also.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I totally agree with Cruzer. A fella I work with is into the ricer scene. He has a Mitsu AWD Eclipse with all the go fast goodies. He just ordered a turbocharger to along with the nitrous he already has. I have seen his quarter mile time slips and he runs in the mid-12's. He does all the work himself on his car and I totally respect him and he respects me and my pony. Tell you the truth, I'd be afraid to race him. He says he is putting out around 350 hp. Ouch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts