Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow! Has anyone had to do this? There are 2 methods to access the battery - Remove the cowl, or remove the airbox. 2 questions:

1. Which method for accessing the battery is preferred?
2. I've read where a Battery Management System (BMS) will need to be reset. Is this necessary? Special tools?

Many thanks -

Bill

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Our 2014 is in the dealership right now for battery replacement and a couple of other maintenance items. (A/C TSB, oil change, etc.)
I seldom go the dealership route as I'm in the aftermarket industry and have good connections, but that battery access deal
and the BMS reset was all it took for me to go that route.
If I were going to do that job myself I probably would have removed the airbox to do it. The BMS reset takes FORSCAN to complete....
supposedly.
I've got plenty on my plate right now..... I'll let the dealer fool with this one.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
I got an 18 and every time i open the hood i scratch my head trying to figure out how to get the battery out if I ever had to.

Thank god I lease these things and will never have to worry about it

·
Administrator
19,408 Posts
On the '13 remove the airbox and slide it out the front. Awkward and annoying but not actually all that difficult. '18's I haven't looked at.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Our 2014 is in the dealership right now for battery replacement and a couple of other maintenance items. (A/C TSB, oil change, etc.)
I seldom go the dealership route as I'm in the aftermarket industry and have good connections, but that battery access deal
and the BMS reset was all it took for me to go that route.
If I were going to do that job myself I probably would have removed the airbox to do it. The BMS reset takes FORSCAN to complete....
supposedly.
I've got plenty on my plate right now..... I'll let the dealer fool with this one.

A lotta weird **** going on with this vehicle according to the dealer. Battery is replaced now, BMS reset. Windshield wipers weren't
working supposedly. (did work when we loaned this vehicle to our kids 2 months ago.... I'm pretty sure)
Apparently a lot of corrosion, on the one battery cable terminal, somehow affected some module or such incorporated in that terminal
connection/cable..... therefore no wiper action. Ford replaced and I'm having them supply the old item so I can check this nonsense out.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Good lord, I hadn't heard that Ford had gone the way of informing the confuser that the car has a new battery. Is it simply a reset or do you have to set the AH, CCA and battery type too?
Is this becoming common among all manufacturers? I really do not get it. It's a freaking battery. Are they trying to extend the battery life by controlling the charge rate?

·
Administrator
19,408 Posts
BMW seemed to have spearheaded the battery thing. God forbid you replace a newish BMW battery without jumping though the proper hoops. There tend to be some pretty freakish side effects if you don't. For what they will expound upon as perfectly logical reasons, all manufactures are going the same way with battery operations.
The newer the vehicle the more sensitive to unforeseen electrical failures which can be attributed in part to the compounded complexity. Leading a few of us to really start digging that old Asian saw of "less is more".

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thanks, I experianced this with a BMW. Was not too bad to actually register the battery. Getting a computer set up to talk to the car was a bit of a science project. The process also tested what I remembered of that HS German language class.
Had not heard of any other manufacturers that did this. I guess it should not surprise me. As you mentioned, its the increasing complexity of newer cars. Makes me appreciate the older stuff more and more.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Lots of issues with battery levels and bms. Stuff that has auto stop/start wont work for 100 different reasons including a battery that has less than 100% charge.

Also the battery comes out the front on all those ones that hide half under the cowl---Focus,escape,transit connect etc.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Ok, here's that asinine battery cable off the 2014 Escape. You can see where a small Weather Pack plug attaches right at the battery terminal.
Apparently that's the BMS interface. Corrosion apparently killed it.
$50-something for the part and approaching $300 labor.....

Lovely.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Good lord, I hadn't heard that Ford had gone the way of informing the confuser that the car has a new battery. Is it simply a reset or do you have to set the AH, CCA and battery type too?
Is this becoming common among all manufacturers? I really do not get it. It's a freaking battery. Are they trying to extend the battery life by controlling the charge rate?
Not sure what they actually did to reset it. Old battery was OE and apparently a 3 year "prorated" piece. 5 years from now when this happens again,
it'll be someone else's issue because at that point the Escape will have escaped our garage.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts