Vintage Mustang Forums banner

121 - 127 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Due respect but the car in question is more than a few unique adjustments. The structure is completely proprietary from the windshield forward, as is the windshield itself. The engine only comes in this one specific car, the transmission, brakes, suspension, interior, wheels, exhaust, under panels, I could go on. Are all completely unique to this car. Yeah, a lot of special editions from the factory are badge swap engineering. But the car in question if anything was more of an engineering exercise to push the limits of their team than anything else.
Yes Ryan, I was aware of the sheet metal changes like the GT-500 before it, but didn't know the front glass was different. The move to magna-ride suspension was HUGE too, however the pure racers are taking that suspension out and using ultra exotic suspenders. The GT-350R got those amazing carbon fiber wheels that take over 100 lbs of unsprung weight out of the car. I heard that the engineers had to go back the drawing board with the magna-ride because the carbon fiber wheels were so light compared to the non-R wheels, caused all sorts of traction related challenges. End result was fantastic though.

But therein lies my point: it's a lot of marketing. Lets build this ultra incredible flat-plane crank engine that zings up to 8,250 rpm, sounds like nothing else ever has outta Detroit. Lets use these amazing carbon wheels with garbage can lid sized brakes. ...and lets only make a few of them and make them rare.

They could have, I'm presuming, easily mass produced that Voodoo engine, put that and the carbon fiber wheels on tens-of thousands of 'special track pack' mustangs, and SO many of us could have been having the time of our lives in those things if it weren't for that $40,000 dealer markup. What does Carroll Shelby have to do with these late model mustangs anyways?

Yea, clearly I'm just going thru a fit of jealousy. Aren't y'all with me?!? Enough already Ford, make a special car within reach of the average Joe with a little extra jingle in his pocket! ...that's NOT a hatchback with a 'drift mode'. Rant over.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Yes Ryan, I was aware of the sheet metal changes like the GT-500 before it, but didn't know the front glass was different. The move to magna-ride suspension was HUGE too, however the pure racers are taking that suspension out and using ultra exotic suspenders. The GT-350R got those amazing carbon fiber wheels that take over 100 lbs of unsprung weight out of the car. I heard that the engineers had to go back the drawing board with the magna-ride because the carbon fiber wheels were so light compared to the non-R wheels, caused all sorts of traction related challenges. End result was fantastic though.

But therein lies my point: it's a lot of marketing. Lets build this ultra incredible flat-plane crank engine that zings up to 8,250 rpm, sounds like nothing else ever has outta Detroit. Lets use these amazing carbon wheels with garbage can lid sized brakes. ...and lets only make a few of them and make them rare.

They could have, I'm presuming, easily mass produced that Voodoo engine, put that and the carbon fiber wheels on tens-of thousands of 'special track pack' mustangs, and SO many of us could have been having the time of our lives in those things if it weren't for that $40,000 dealer markup. What does Carroll Shelby have to do with these late model mustangs anyways?

Yea, clearly I'm just going thru a fit of jealousy. Aren't y'all with me?!? Enough already Ford, make a special car within reach of the average Joe with a little extra jingle in his pocket! ...that's NOT a hatchback with a 'drift mode'. Rant over.
I'm a fairly average Joe, and I have one. Then again I have no wife or kids. Those 2 things may be related. LOL

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
IMO, the new cars will never be worth what the old one's are now. It's more of a throw away society now. These new cars preform awesome, but no real class. Nothing earth breaking in design. There are many like them on the market. If you are worried about value, don't sell your old Stangs.
Yea, sure.. Back in the late 80s.. thats what everyone said about the 67-70 cars. I saw lots of 67-68 fastback get crushed because people thought "they would never be worth anything"...

You may have to wait 30+ years for a positive return.
I think the GT350s will do well. Especially the 350R models..

My 04 Cobra seemed to go through a "down value" slump from 07-2014, but he values are picking back up lately. Sure if you have a beater thats been hacked up, its not going to sell for much. But a clean example, has plenty of love. Whenever I drive mine, I get tons of attention and even the odd inquiry...

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Just for reference, a fox body last week sold for 75K........ was it a unicorn yes, but none the less.

121 - 127 of 127 Posts