Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I have to compete with many Highly prepped ABS equipped Camaro's til 2002, and Mustangs til 2004. I went from little competition to being lucky if I finish mid pack.

2020 Cam Handout

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Very confusing, 1948-2000 but Camaro 2002 and Mustang 2004???

I'm also noting that SOMEBODY who shall go nameless (@2nd66) is cheating!!! see bullet 3...

CAM T (Traditional) (car and truck body styles originating from 1948-2000)
• Exampl es: Camaro (-2002), Mustang (-2004)
• Sedans/coupes with seating originally for 4 or more adults and trucks.
• Interior floor covering(s) may be replaced, but not removed.
• Weight without driver (lbs., min.) ...............................................................3000 • Additional weight for Lexan® windshield (lbs., min.) ................................+150

I still think there should be a tire width penalty or separate class, nobody can touch 315s without 315s

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still think there should be a tire width penalty or separate class, nobody can touch 315s without 315s
That was the talk at the thanksgiving table. I'm not sure how much meat you can get under a 65-66 Mustang without major surgery but I know not 315s.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Wow, this sure changes the field. I'm no expert, but I foresee many changing classes. Now CAMT is gonna be packed with cars. Out here, well be going from roughly 10 cars on a good day, to probably 15-20 with this change.

Oh well, time to stuff a '16 5.0 chassis under my 66. Where can I start a "go fund me"?

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check out Mike Meier's Mustang, bet he is up to 315s at least, can be done but is it affordable to us Plebes?
No new info on old blue on his site. I'm running the same CSRP 1.4" drop spindles he was last known to be running and it appears I'd need to be running 20" wheels to get over tie rod on the front. It looked like he was cutting and re-welding his steering arms on the CSRP spindles for wheel clearance and quicker steering. Not to mention the mini tubs and 3 link needed out back.

·
Registered
824 Posts
He had done spindle mods and a mini tub in the rear I believe plus fender flares to get the 315s. The current incarnation of ole blue is very different though and heavily modified. If you get wide enough fender flares you could fit 315s, or at least get very close.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Has anyone got clarification of the post 2000 cars being eligible?

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has anyone got clarification of the post 2000 cars being eligible?
Read the handout in my first post. Since both the Camaro and Mustang were little changed from 2000 until production stopped or a major redesign what's the difference? The key phrase here is (car and truck body styles originating from 1948-2000)

·
Registered
10,832 Posts
yet another reason to switch to open track...plus 100X the fun.
100x the price
Read the handout in my first post. Since both the Camaro and Mustang were little changed from 2000 until production stopped or a major redesign what's the difference? The key phrase here is (car and truck body styles originating from 1948-2000)

View attachment 739006
I'm late to the party , Wonder who was in charge of the group of rulings ?surely not someone with and older car
That was the talk at the thanksgiving table. I'm not sure how much meat you can get under a 65-66 Mustang without major surgery but I know not 315s.
255/45/17 is pretty doable from what I under stand ,with out any or much surgery
Very confusing, 1948-2000 but Camaro 2002 and Mustang 2004???

I'm also noting that SOMEBODY who shall go nameless (@2nd66) is cheating!!! see bullet 3...

CAM T (Traditional) (car and truck body styles originating from 1948-2000)
• Exampl es: Camaro (-2002), Mustang (-2004)
• Sedans/coupes with seating originally for 4 or more adults and trucks.
• Interior floor covering(s) may be replaced, but not removed.
• Weight without driver (lbs., min.) ...............................................................3000 • Additional weight for Lexan® windshield (lbs., min.) ................................+150

that is rather confusing with the miss match of dates supplied ,,?? Cheating ,I assume you mean my lack of carpet ?(lets the water drain out,keeps it from rusting) Wonder how exactly no carpet help a driver vs having power steering ,a WATTS link,oversized lightened engine set back and lowered.?? HHmmm... Oh,maybe it's the sunroof/roofspoiler? the removed rear seat? :sneaky:None of it really offsets the slow:1 manual steering :unsure:

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
100x the price
1000x I think!

I'm late to the party , Wonder who was in charge of the group of rulings ?surely not someone with and older car
Sorry I forgot to mail out your invite. I guess they feel mullet Camaro's and square Mustangs are old now?

255/45/17 is pretty doable from what I under stand ,with out any or much surgery
The Bridgestone Ponenza RE 71's anyway want a minimum 8.5" wheel for the 255's and I've only got 8"(wheels). Not that rules can't be broken!
I've got a whole lot of life in the way right now but me and my buddy Nicholas are going to have a fender rolling party soon before I loose my nice garage and see what we can accomplish.

Reactions: 2nd 66

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
1000x I think!
Especially if you are running a car that is truly prepared for the track. I run what I brung just to light my candle off once in a while but I am truly aware of the risks and more importantly what is at stake - even if I am not hurt if I wad my car up (very unlikely) I really am not in a position to replace my car so its "all in" for me - all my chips on green 00...

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
3,000# minimum? Do you guys have to add weight? I think the last time I weighed my car it was 2,850 and that was before aluminum heads and included a full size spare tire.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
3,000# minimum? Do you guys have to add weight? I think the last time I weighed my car it was 2,850 and that was before aluminum heads and included a full size spare tire.
Troublemaker eh? Never weighed my car but most here seem to think they are near enough to 3000# I have aluminum intake, heads, and run headers but have heavy power steering, export brace, and Monte Carlo bar. I don't think my coilover front end saves much if any weight as it is quite sturdy. But I hear the 8" rear end does.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I see I'm not the only one disappointed with the CAM-C and CAM-T cut off change. If you want more insight into the rules change and who is in charge I interviewed one of the class creators and wrote about it here: State of SCCA CAM Class 2020

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I see I'm not the only one disappointed with the CAM-C and CAM-T cut off change. If you want more insight into the rules change and who is in charge I interviewed one of the class creators and wrote about it here: State of SCCA CAM Class 2020
Good article Chad. I didn't know the Genesis of Cam was a low rules package, I showed up and that's the class they put me in. I won my local Cam-T by default this year by showing up to 4 events. I did have the fastest car locally "Indiana Northwest" but not in South Bend or Indy, and was bummed about the lack of competition. I guess I won't be worrying about that anymore! My friend Nick's brother will be running Cam-T with be this year in a 4 gen Camaro with 315's all around. I know I can't beat him but it will be interesting to see how close Nick can get to him in my car. Nick being the better driver with the sibling rivalry thrown in for an added twist.

·
Registered
10,832 Posts
Guess it;s a good thing I just mostly go to race my self(beat my own times all day) The local SCCA chapters are pretty relaxed as long as the car passes safety your good to go. Besides it's not like I'll be going to nationals anytime soon.
Still live axle or not those "newer cars" have ABS, traction control,,stuff that really just can't be included on a vintage car

1 - 20 of 33 Posts