Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
So the guys writing the new rules can't even agree how to interpret them? Nice. Since all entrants run solo laps, it can't be a time issue that caused the rule change. Did they think they were awarding too many trophies?

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've never been to one of these, but 1948-2000 seems like a lot of ground to cover for one class.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I've never been to one of these, but 1948-2000 seems like a lot of ground to cover for one class.
Cam is kind of the what's left class that allows you to compete without losing to a rusted 20 year old Civic.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Ya, ran last weekend and had to run with a built 98 camaro z/28 and a 84 gt mustang under the new camT rules. Not fun. 100 more hp and twice the tire. Glad I don't give a [email protected] about points and competition.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Isnt the rule change to get more cars on the track? Old iron is getting harder to come by, so extending the availability to newer iron is a logical step. It seems that splitting the CAM-T class into two separate classes would get more cars on the track but not penalize the guy with a pre-abs/computer controlled vehicle. Since the cars have to be licensed, insured and street legal, do they have to have all installed emissions?

What kind of speeds are you hitting?

In my neck of the woods there isnt any kind of racing other than Atlanta Motor Speedway and a couple local 1/4 mile tracks. I would love to attend SCCA events, but there are none within 100 miles of my location.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Isnt the rule change to get more cars on the track? Old iron is getting harder to come by, so extending the availability to newer iron is a logical step. It seems that splitting the CAM-T class into two separate classes would get more cars on the track but not penalize the guy with a pre-abs/computer controlled vehicle. Since the cars have to be licensed, insured and street legal, do they have to have all installed emissions?

What kind of speeds are you hitting?

In my neck of the woods there isnt any kind of racing other than Atlanta Motor Speedway and a couple local 1/4 mile tracks. I would love to attend SCCA events, but there are none within 100 miles of my location.
Look up Atlanta Region SCCA.
SCCA - Atlanta Region - Solo
Saturday, Mar 21 — Thursday, Dec 31, 2020
Atlanta Motor Speedway, Hampton, GA

·
Registered
800 Posts
I've got three autocross locations within 1.5 hr drive. Theres typically 2 or 3 weekends a month where you can find an event. Thunderhill raceway has an incredible track program as well as a dedicated autocross pad, but the autocross is small running 20-25 sec laps with 2 laps equaling one run. Very tight, very short. I haven't been to Sonoma raceway but hear its parking lot racing, but the track is world class. The same scca grp that runs Sonoma also runs at Crowslanding, a decommissioned naval training runway. American Autox also runs Crows, which I prefer to run. From what I see, these drivers are national winners and qualifiers. This is also where they run the ProSolo tour. Crows is absolutely awesome and HUGE. Because theres two orgs that run there it provides a good flexible schedule. Runs are typically 60 sec or more. Last weekend was my first time with the scca grp and my best was 80 sec, with class best at 75 +/-. I was hauling the mail and was obviously outclassed by better drivers and better cars. Those long fast runs make it very enjoyable, and very rewarding regardless where I place. American was supposed to run this weekend, but cancelled due to the virus. I haven't seen a cancellation for Thunderhill at the end of the month, but that can change. As for emissions and street legal stuff....in your dreams... about half the cars are driven there and home, the rest are trailered and far from emissions legal, but the grps do enforce the class rules.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Search my aka name here cyclone03 to know who I am.....and whats going on with my car.
Ive too am rethinking CAM autocross.
I won back to back locally with my FE(!) Mustang.
The locals loved me coming out and I did bring others in with cars like mine.
Then the year shift.....
Ive been a tire rule advocate in CAM for years. nobody wants to hear it.
255 @ 3000 lbs no ABS/TC/Aero beyond a simple front/rear spoiler. similar to 67-71 Trans Am class Aero.
Theres something about not cutting up vintage sheet metal that makes running these cars cool to me.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I just noticed that Optima will allow a C4 corvette to run in GTV class....
so if a C4 is not the class winner, someone is not trying very hard.....

21 - 33 of 33 Posts