Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't find a topic on this yet (unless the search failed me). Anybody doing it this year? It's in the general area, so I'm thinking about doing the last day into Madison, WI. Anybody that's done it in the past, when do they have schedules and stuff set up? I've barely been able to find the actual route for it, as the main page doesn't seem to have that yet. Are the starts and stops planned, or is it just a free-for-all, come and go as you like thing?

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Hot Rod typically doesn't post the actual route until a couple weeks before the event. Then they're supposed to do a mock run to make sure a road isn't closed from construction, etc.

The dates and venues are already posted, so that's the important stuff so you can figure out where you want to stay.

It's pretty much a "free for all" thing. The very first day starts at 7 or 8AM, but after that, you're supposed to be driving to the venue, so all venues after the first day don't even open until noon.

There's so many opinions on what to do. Some drive the route turn by turn and don't skip a beat. Some get to the venues super early to hang out all day. Some only show up to get their stamp (for the long hauler metal wall sign given out on the last day) and some people (not many) don't go to the venue at all.

Yet, there's other's that make their own route and stops and see different stuff along the way.

I've traveled with a "group" I've known for quite a while now on the 4 I've run (3 long hauls and one 3 day run). We've run the route turn by turn some days, others stopped off at cool museums or stuff along the way, and others are weird and drive the shortest route, usually the interstate. One time thanks to my own Mustang breaking down we had to haul ass down the interstate the whole way to make the venue by 5 to get our stamps. I don't think many people go that route unless they've had issues that day.

I love PT, but the start and end are just too far for me this year. The longest one I did totaled 3600 miles round trip from my house and back. I think that was 2015 when it went from Madison, WI to Somewhere near New Orleans.

Personally, I prefer to leave around 7-7:30 AM and drive the actual route. You'll see people set up on lawn chairs along the route to watch the tour go by. Not many, but some towns will put up signs. The coolest one I remember is they crossed the ladders on two fire trucks across the street and hung a GIANT flag from them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I plan on doing one of these as soon as it gets a little closer to Florida...or at least ends closer to Florida

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I've done a leg or two a couple times, followed the route and had a blast at the venues. Planning on doing a couple legs this year as it's coming right through Indy again.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I'm thinking about doing is catching the group at some point and then finishing in Madison. There's a route map posted in a couple of places, but I guess it's not official yet. Some in the club are interested in doing a day thing, but I doubt any would want to do an overnight, going to Davenport, and then running the last leg to Madison. I guess I'll just put things on hold until May and the final plans get posted. Then I'll be able to figure out where and when they'll be going by so we can jump in the caravan.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
People keep posting what they think the route is going to be on the HRPT facebook page. Hot Rod will release the route on their website and via email to everyone that pre-pays. If you're only doing a day or two, I'd recommend just running the route and parking in the free spectator parking. It's now up to $45/day to get your car into the event - used to be only $20 (or $139 for "multi-day) - the PIA about this is you have to go to wherever they have the registration set up for that day, get your registration, then you can go into the venue.

From the 2019 FAQ:

How Do I Attend As a Spectator? Spectator entry is free, but spectator parking is located away from the show grounds. All vehicles brought to show grounds must register as a participant.

The 2019 FAQ answers a ton of questions:

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Madison? I would totally be in for that.

I think Davenport to Madison seems predictable. I would expect it to follow the Mississippi and going through Galena. From there the question will be if it goes to Dubuque or just due north to Platteville. I have basically done Davenport to Dubuque on a bicycle along the river and it is nice country.

The Grumpy Troll in Mt. Horeb is where I would stop for some eats and maybe a cold one.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was hoping they'd come up thru Rockford taking the freeways, but I can get to Dubuque that morning and join the parade to Madison.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
That's the cool thing about the Tour, you can join up with them anywhere along the route. That's what I did last year, just pulled over along the route somewhere, waited for a pack of them to drive by and followed along - Everybody is really friendly. All my buddies had to work last year so I went on my own but I never felt "alone", I was always with a group and felt like one of the pack.
It's something every "car guy" should do at least once, it's a great experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts