Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered a nail in my tire today, the tire place wouldn't fix it cause my GOODYEAR GT II Are almost 20 years old. I managed to get it patched, but now am being bugged to change the tires. (Yes they are old, but look brand new! Yes I know they rot). ANYWAY

What is a good replacment tire? BFG T/A seem to be the only sport tires. But then I don't think I really need a sport tire, really it's just a cruiser. Looking for Blackwall 205/70 r14.

Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
13,096 Posts
Sears has more selection in that size than tirerack. I'd pick any of the Goodyears over the BFG Radial T/A (a truely wicked tire because of the treacherous combination of great looks & marginal traction on dry pavement and no wet traction to speak of).

Also think about the 195/70-14 size. I used that size for years on my '66 GT350 (Pirelli P-4, some Sears still have them, a good tire)

Z

·
VMF Ambassador
6,583 Posts
I would take no tires over BFGs. Though they are advertised as "sport" tires, really the only thing that's sporty about them is the raised white letters. They're terrible in any weather that's not sun (not so much of an issue in California these days, I guess, but if you're going to keep them for a decade...) and have terrible traction and wear.

If you find tires that Tire Rack doesn't sell, I'd still check on Tire Rack to see if they have rated them in the past. They are quite comprehensive in their testing of quality in a variety of environments.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Goodyear does not list that tire size

·
Registered
6 Posts
Goodyear does not list that tire size
Neither does Cooper. They DO list a 215/70r14, in the Cooper Cobra Radial GT. I've had a set on my 67 for about a month now and they are light years ahead of the 195/75r14 Winton tires that were on the car when I bought it. Mine are mounted with the RWL showing, but the other side is blackwall.

My first car was a 66 Mustang bought in 1971 - it came with 6.95-14s and I put a set of E70-14 Goodyear tires on it. No clearance problems and the 215s are only a little larger. You can see the old and new tires in my Garage.

Good luck.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,583 Posts
Too bad they don't make R1's for our size wheels these days...you would eat those words...and I would gladly serve you a cold one with them...:cheers:
I suppose I should clarify that I would take no tires over specifically BFG Radial T/As. Nothing wrong with BFG as a tire company, but those tires are the absolute worst!

Reactions: zray

·
Spammer Hammer
9,543 Posts
I suppose I should clarify that I would take no tires over specifically BFG Radial T/As. Nothing wrong with BFG as a tire company, but those tires are the absolute worst!
Unfortunately, they aren't even their own company anymore...owned by Michelin. If you ever get a chance to take a spin in car with the new g-Force R1's, take it. They will almost make you want to change wheel sizes. Surprised Zray isn't pushing the Avons.

·
Premium Member
13,096 Posts
"....... Surprised Zray isn't pushing the Avons.
I got old.

"........If you ever get a chance to take a spin in car with the new g-Force R1's, take it. They will almost make you want to change wheel sizes........."
I changed wheel sizes twice. I went to a 16" on my GT350 so I could run Goodyear F1 GS-D3 tires. That tire won a C&D tire competition a few years ago. WOW. they were a great tire, but I hated the larger wheel. Now those tires start in 17" and larger.

Then I changed wheel size to a 15", just to know what tire nirvana was really like: Avon CR6ZZ.

Z

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
I've never had a problem with the BFG T/A 205/70/14... I wouldn't recommend them for the snow, rain, street performance driving, or track though... If they don't meet your street handling requirements you're probably driving your early Mustang irresponsibly IMO.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
13,096 Posts
I've never had a problem with the BFG T/A 205/70/14... I wouldn't recommend them for the snow, rain, street performance driving, or track though... If they don't meet your street handling requirements you're probably driving your early Mustang irresponsibly IMO.

:cheers:
It's nice to have a tire that helps your car go where you point it when a kid on a bike cuts in front of you. I wouldn't call that need driving irresponsibly. In real world street driving. need for traction doesn't always mean going as fast as you can. Braking and sudden maneuvers require a tire that can grip when called upon.

Z

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
It's nice to have a tire that helps your car go where you point it when a kid on a bike cuts in front of you. I wouldn't call that need driving irresponsibly. In real world street driving. need for traction doesn't always mean going as fast as you can. Braking and sudden maneuvers require a tire that can grip when called upon.

Z
I've never had a problem steering with BFG T/A's :lol:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts