Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1967, Ford, Mustang Coupe
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the carburetor sat through an engine fire for, at most, 2 minutes. I have a 1967 mustang, 289, with the 2100, stock AC, and Power steering. I have since rebuilt the carburetor with guidance from a grandfather. I can see fuel sprayed, when the gas pedal is pulled, I know my pump is set correctly. It idles perfectly, but when the gas pedal is slightly pressed it dies, without a sputter or anything, it just dies. When you press the gas pedal faster to get past mid acceleration, it shakes the whole car violently, it struggles a lot. I dont know what it could be. I checked my vacuum advance, its perfectly fine. I can record a video and attach it if you want to see exactly how its acting. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help

-TJ

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Did the fire damage any of the ignition wires, coil, distributor? You didn't have any parts left over after the rebuild?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It damage the spark plug wires. Which I replaced. As well as the plugs, which I gapped to 35, platinum. I also replaced the distributor cap. I did have left iver parts after the rebuild, but they were. (I think) parts for different models of carburetors,

·
Registered
559 Posts
I must admit to making a dumb mistake once in reassembly of my carburetor where I put the spring on the wrong side of the accelerator pump bladder. It behaved the exact same way, and it took me a bit to figure out what I had done. The danger in doing some of these jobs multiple times, is sometimes your mind fills in the blanks. I'd recheck to make sure that's in there right.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I must admit to making a dumb mistake once in reassembly of my carburetor where I put the spring on the wrong side of the accelerator pump bladder. It behaved the exact same way
Big to small, as in the larger side of the spring touches the carburetor wall, and the smaller side facing toward the pump linkage, right?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Big to small, as in the larger side of the spring touches the carburetor wall, and the smaller side facing toward the pump linkage, right?
Yeah, that's right, but the way I had it that time years ago, the spring was oustside of the bladder. The spring has to get sandwiched between the rubber diaphragm and the carb body. Obviously, if you think about it, this is the only way it works, but the metal disc on the pump diaphragm almost looks like a spring seat, so in my haste, I just put it together wrong from memory. If you can see and hear gas squirting into the bores, you have it in right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts