Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a set of wheels and tires for my '65 and want to make sure they'll fit. They're 215/65/15 on TTD 15x6s, 4.5" backspacing (according to the seller). Also, this guy say he had them on his '58 Corvette but that the BCD is 4.5. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
I think you're asking for trouble. Some folks have had 215/60/15 on early cars, and rubbed fenders. The 65 series tires will be even taller. I have 205/60/15 on my 15x7 wheels, and have no problems.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
If he had a Ford 9" in the 'vette, he may indeed have a 5x4.5 bolt pattern, but I would think only in the back.

Anyway to answer the question, you'll most likely need to roll the front fenders and maybe slightly roll the rear (at least make sure the lips don't point in at all in the rear).

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
The Back Spacing is what is on your side except for the front wheels. I think you may be close to the upper ball joint with a 15X6 inch rim and 4 1/2 BS.

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,371 Posts
I used to have 235\60\15's on my 66 with a 15x7 rim. I did have to roll the fender in the rear because my rims have less backspacing than the ones your looking at. It only JUST rubbed too... I very, very much doubt you'll have to roll your fender running a 215 tire on 15x6 rims, especially with 4.5 backspacing. That'll put the tire further in the wheel well...

Your problem may be the upper ball joint clearance in the front. It's only a 6" rim so you may get lucky. If it's to close, you could always use a spacer, although this is the last resort and should NOT be used if you plan on any performance driving...

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,493 Posts
Trouble alert! Unless I'm uninformed, TTDs don't have a 4.5" backspacing in a 15X6 size. The 15X7s are only 3.75", that's why I don't have them on my car. Better check again, something's fishy here....

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
TTD's only come in one backspacing for a 5x4.5 bolt pattern. The backspacing for the 15x6 wheels is 3.625", the backspacing for the 15x7 is 3.75".

There's no choices in this, and I still find it fishy that the guy has 5x4.5 bolt pattern on the front of a Corvette. I think the guy's trying to unload the wheels on anyone he can.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help. It turns out the guy was measurning the BCD wrong. I guess on backspacing it was a custom deal. Guess I'll keep looking...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts