Vintage Mustang Forums banner

22 gallon gas tank in a 65?

11K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  MUSTANG65FBK 
#1 ·
Read a thread that someone did this and it's just a drop in, all you have to do is cut down the filler hose. Anyone else done this? I like more gas......

#3 ·
22 gal tank

I'd guess I've done 3-4 dozen over the years. I have one in my 64 convert, 65 K GT FB, had one in my old 68 6 cyl convert and a lot of customer's cars. It drops right in, cut 2" off the filler neck, use the 70 sending unit and GO! With the OD, I've come close to 500 miles on a tank! The only one currently without a 22 tank is the 69, but it's already 20 gals.

Attachments

#8 ·
In my '67 coupe I think I like the slightly lower height of my '69 20 gallon a little better. Since my '69 has nothing but an empty space in the trunk I might just give it a '70 22 gallon setup. Now that you guys have started this thread and made me think of it. :)

#12 ·
So the 69 gives you 4 extra gallons and doesn't take as much of your trunk space as a 70? What would you guestimate is the difference? That might be a happy medium. Loosing 2 inches out of an already small trunk is substantial, especially if you plan to drive to any shows and your wife packs like mine does.

#10 ·
all you have to do is cut down the filler hose. .

CJ Pony Parts actually sells the modified filler neck in case you do not want to cut your own down.

You can keep your original sender. It just wont read right. I am used to it.

#13 ·
Without actually going out to look, from what I recall the '69 sits almost level with the trunk dropoffs where the 70 tank sits a bit above them. Like an inch. So obviously easier to do a nice flat custom trunk mat/floor with a '69.

Reactions: Huntingky
#14 ·
Yeah, PonyDoc...

Curious.. With the bigger top "bulge" of the '70 22 Gallon tank in your '64 and '65....I'm curious as what you did with the factory trunk mat.. Did you not use it at all?, Come up with something completely different?, cut a hole in the original type trunk mat?...What did you do?? Take pics if you managed to come up with something...

Thanks..

Tony K.

:eek:)

#18 ·
I just used the 65 mat. It kinda hugs the corners and works fine. For those thinking of swapping, the 70 sending unit makes life a lot easier with an accurate reading. A 65-68 unit will read FULL until 1/3 is gone.
If you price CJ's modified filler neck, cutting 2" off a stock 65 one is a LOT cheaper!
I did a trip from Las Vegas to Charlotte, and at every stop, gas went down 10 cents. I filled up every night, had 1/4 at the end of a 400 miles day, when everyone else had to top off at lunch. With the large tank, I can wait for the cheaper areas vs. having to buy gas without the option of finding cheaper gas. As much as I drive each year, it's paid for itself with the savings and convenience.

Attachments

#17 ·
LOL I was kinda thinking the same thing...

I drove 12 hours non stop from SC to LA last week for the HRPT (and 14 from KS to SC) With my T5, I was safely getting 260 miles on a tank with a couple gallons left. I guess if you have a gas pig motor you would want a bigger tank, but I was able to drive 4 hours non stop without refueling. I've thought about a larger tank, but really don't need one. When a lot of the other V8, non OD, cars I was traveling with needed to stop for fuel, I still had 1/2+ tank still.

Now my C10... that only gets about 12 city/15 highway, even with OD, and I have a 16 gallon blazer fuel tank in it... THAT does suck...

#20 ·
#22 ·
Pony Doc... Thanks for the pics!!

See you at the local shows bud!

:eek:)

Tony K.

#23 ·
I put the 22g in my 67. Until recently I the filler neck was the original for the 16 gal tank. Always had issues with the gas pump clicking off constantly. Some pump handles would barely let me put any gas in the car.

Just recently I switched it to the filler neck that is made for the conversion. Got it from NPD. Now I have no issue at all filling the tank.

If you cut the original, the is a small miss alignment between the filler neck an the tank. I guess this was causing the issue.

Gary

#24 · (Edited)
The small hole in the spout in the picture is a venturi that allows the nozzle to shut off at fill up. When gas hits it (restricts the air flow) it shuts off. The gas must have been "backing up" into the neck when you were trying to put gas in the tank in your old configuration...

As a side note, it can fail...NEVER leave the nozzle engaged and walk away from it while filling your vehicle. Saw a young guy headed to the beach at a store I was working at one time, he had gotten back in his vehicle and left the nozzle engaged, I ran over and cut the dispenser off because gas had run all under his vehicle (unbeknownst to him). He said thanks and fired it up without hesitation and drove away...scary stuff...

Allen

Attachments

#25 ·
I also didn't realize you could do this mod until after I'd installed a 16 gallon gas tank and several different fuel sending units or else I would have done it before. My engine isn't the greatest on gas mileage even with the T5 and I don't like to push it because my gas gauge isn't accurate. Maybe I'll bump up to the 20 gallon tank and better fuel sending unit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.