Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at the legendary wheels in 15x7 and trying to figure out what the best all around tire is going to be. Looks like I can fit 225's all around (front fenders are rolled and has tubular UCA's)

It won't see autocross or a track, just local cruising, some road trips through the mountains and the occasional burnout. It can get wet here, but I don't purposely go looking to drive in the rain. I also spent a good chunk of time on the highway with it. I know the Radial T/A's are garbage. What else is worth considering??

·
Spammer Hammer
9,664 Posts
Depends mostly on the backspacing of the wheel. If in the 4-4.25 range they will probably work. If in the 3.75 range like AR TTD’s they will probably rub the front fenders.

This assumes a conservative front alignment. If aggressive for something like road racing, they will probably also be ok at a lower backspacing.

·
Registered
164 Posts
What control arms do you have?
I’m about to buy a set of legendary wheels also. I have global west control arms, which they advise to put 17x8 with 4.5 BS and 245/45-17. I want the 15x7 look also but I am afraid it’ll rub the upper control arm. I don’t have any racing tendency’s in my older self and would likely enjoy the cushion of 15” tires. Wish I knew the 15x7 would work without spacers or such, I’d get my order in ASAP

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got Street Or Tracks front end. I'm looking at 4.25 backspace

I don't care if the tires look 'period'. I just want decent daily driver rubber for it. I can slap my 14x5 styled steel wheels with repop bias look radials on if needed..

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I ended up ordering Cooper tires for my '68 with 15x7 torque thrusts.

At 620 treadwear, they're definitely not performance or autocross tires. BUT with that being said, they should *hopefully* last longer than the 200 treadwear Falken's on my '69 :)

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/coo-90000020134/overview/

Attachments

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was looking at the coopers! I know you're a ways off from driving the '68.. but they look pretty decent on it!

I checked the falkens and some yokos but I'd burn through them pretty quickly with that tread wear rating. I can't decide if I want to keep my styled steels or sell them to help fund the 15x7's from legendary. Guess I'll wait for our stock match in the spring ;)

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I now have some legendary 15x7's sitting in my garage. Awaiting my tire decision.

I've seen a couple people running 235 and 245's in the rear, but It looks like 225's are the widest that will work up front.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,520 Posts
Cooper Cobras and BFG T/As seem to be the ones to supply the 225/235/245-60r15s. I was running 225/60 front and 245/60 rear with rolled fenders and lowered about 2” all around. 225/235 should be a good combo.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Funny but for width vs. rubbing I think you can do better with 14" than 15".
You can always buy them two at a time and try. I thought I had 235's fitting up front, they fit for about 200 miles then all my new stuff settled in(dropped and chopped) and they started rubbing more and more, luckily they rubbed before I bought 2 more in that size.

..and if you can wear out ~300TW tires(15-20Kmiles) before they get old and hard you should consider that a win:)

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Funny but for width vs. rubbing I think you can do better with 14" than 15".
You can always buy them two at a time and try. I thought I had 235's fitting up front, they fit for about 200 miles then all my new stuff settled in(dropped and chopped) and they started rubbing more and more, luckily they rubbed before I bought 2 more in that size.

..and if you can wear out ~300TW tires(15-20Kmiles) before they get old and hard you should consider that a win:)
I'm doing HRPT 2019. Driving from Vancouver Canada. I'll easily have that 10k miles on in about a month this season. I'd hate to have to replace my tires after one year!

·
Registered
371 Posts
I ended up ordering Cooper tires for my '68 with 15x7 torque thrusts.

At 620 treadwear, they're definitely not performance or autocross tires. BUT with that being said, they should *hopefully* last longer than the 200 treadwear Falken's on my '69 :)

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/coo-90000020134/overview/
I just put these on the new wheels I got for my 68, they look great so far, but I can't speak to performance or durability since so far the car is still up on stands. :frown2:

·
Registered
923 Posts
I just changed out BFG 235/60x15s for Cooper Cobras and they are much smoother. They are on AR 7x15s w/4.0 BS. The front fenders are rolled. I think 225s in the front would fit better.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I just put these on the new wheels I got for my 68, they look great so far, but I can't speak to performance or durability since so far the car is still up on stands. :frown2:
I managed to get around 200 miles on the Cooper tires before one of the rod bearings had other ideas. I took the car up a rather windy mountain road, the tires seem fine. They're nowhere near the performance of the Falken tires, but they do the job and don't seem to have much road noise. I like them MUCH better than the BFG tires I've used in the past. I'll likely get the same tires in the future, although I love the look of the Coker bias ply Wide Oval tires :) (RIP handling).

·
Registered
371 Posts
And the price is right too, I got mine really cheap online. Won't make me feel as bad for burnouts once I actually get this machine up and driving!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I put Cooper CS5 ultra tourings on. They were available and inexpensive and seem to handle the wet better than the rest. I'll post pics when I get them all on the car.

·
Registered
256 Posts
New here, but I'm planning on replacing my 205/70/14s on stock wheels with 15 x 7 LW20 Legendary ones, 215/60 front and 225/60 rear. I don't like the TAs either -- I think they look tacky on an older car, so I'm going with Cooper CS5 Ultras, nice looking blackwalls. I contacted the guys at Scott Drake and they say I may need to slightly bend my lower front wheel wells but not much. I have the "Shelby drop" and I'm planning on replacing the front drums with discs -- probably Wilwood but no firm decision yet.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Fastback
922 Posts
@DustoffMedic, welcome! Former Army dustoff guy here.

On my '66, I have AR Torq Thrust D wheels in 15x7 front and 15x8 rear, which are custom two-piece versions with 4-inch BS front and 4.75-inch BS rear. My suspension is lowered approx. 2-inches all around, I have done the Shelby drop, and I've rolled the fender lips. You definitely have to have the fender lips rolled with this combo as mine rubbed initially until I rolled even further.

I've been running the BF Goodrich Comp T/A tires in 215/60 front and 225/60 rear for the last couple years and been quite happy with them. I tried 225s up front and they rubbed in turns. They can definitely appear period correct if you mount the white band inward. I regularly drive spiritedly on winding mountain roads (Angeles Crest and Mulholland Drive) and have zero grip issues. Additionally, they're not noisy, at not least to the point I can notice with 2.5-inch side exhaust. I suppose they could be a poor tire but I wouldn't hesitate to buy again for the street, especially for the price.

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi Brent, thanks for the welcome. Your car looks great with that setup. I didn't do any lowering except for the drop -- I replaced the rear springs ( worn out ) with stock type and new KYB shocks all around. I'm hoping not to have to do too much fender rolling. The guys at Scott Drake say that the 215/60s should be fine up front. I live in N. Central PA and we have some nice twistys which I really enjoy. Last year I put on a 1" front stabilizer bar and an export brace, and with the Shelby drop it really holds on the turns. As soon as the weather gets nice I'm getting busy on the tire/wheel/disc project.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts