Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So ever since I've had my 331, my cooling system has been able to borderline keep my 1965 cool. A couple years ago, I upgraded to a larger radiator, then a high flow water pump.. they all helped, but on a really hot day, if I was running it hard, the temp would slowly start to creep up until I let off of it. It would idle all day without overheating and I had no trouble on the highway. But on a really hot day (90+), if I wanted to, I could make it overheat by just spiritedly driving around.

I've got an A/C system installed, but I've never got it charged because I thought that the extra heat would be the straw that broke the camels back. Although I've always thought the addition of the condenser in front of my radiator was responsible for most of my problems.

I've been running a Derale electric fan for the past few years. Its a nice unit (Link to Summit Racing) and it pulls a lot of air for it size. But compared to a modern OEM electric fan or even a clutch fan, its pretty puny. The problem is, the 1965-66 radiator size is pretty small at about 16" and I have less than 4" of depth from the radiator to the water pump pulley. All this makes my electric fan choices somewhat limited.

I've been contemplating moving to a larger radiator. I read an article on Mustang Steve's website (Link) that detailed how to install a 20" to 24" radiator in a 65-66 Mustang. So after a lot of reading, I decided to take the plunge.

I obtained the following parts:

1. A 24" ACP aluminum radiator for a 1970 Mustang. I need the lower outlet on the drivers side. (Link). The reason I picked this unit is because of the dual core / 1.25" tubes and it fits with all the factory mounting brackets.
  2. Lower radiator brackets for a 1968-70 Mustang (Link)
  3. An Upper radiator bracket for a 1967-68 Mustang (Link)
  4. Insulators for the above brackets (Lower) and (Upper)
  5. I sourced an electric fan from a 1999 Ford Contour V6. Its a dual fan setup and it blows like a friggin hurricane. Plus, it fits the 24" radiator like it was made for it.
  6. For the upper radiator hose, I used a Gates 21736 hose. This is a lower radiator hose for a Bronco II
  7. I already owned this, but I have an Autocool 85 contoller (Link). I can't say enough good things about this controller. Ground based, variable temp, dual fan capable, good to 85 total amps, soft start, 1 minute cool down, A/C and manual overrides, USA made. Awesome setup.

I took the front end off the car and used Mustang Steve's dimensions to cut the opening:

I had to modify the new lower radiator brackets a bit to fit my 1965 strut rod brace.. but once that was done, the radiator fit great. I mounted the fan to the radiator using some 3/4" angle aluminum sourced from Lowes.

Below is a pic of the fan as I was fabbing up the wiring harness. I used 10 gauge wire and 30 amp fuses for each fan. The controller I use is ground based so the red wires go directly to the battery and the black to the controller. This is before I wrapped up the harness obviously:

Here is the setup installed and complete:

I got lucky, because even the condensor A/C lines fit:

So how does it perform? HA!!! Like a champ. Today was a great testing day in NC. The temp was 93-95 degrees and the engine temp never went above 180 no matter how hard I ran it. That Contour fan is amazing and blows probably double the rate of my old Derale.

The best part, unless you're a vintage Mustang know-it-all, you'd swear it was a factory setup. :)

Thanks for reading.

-Shannon

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Where did you find the fan connectors? I have the same fan but can't find the wiring.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How exactly did you mount the ac condenser?

Thanks

Bob
Bob,

I have the classic auto air setup. The condenser is mounted as their instructions. But in a nutshell, the condenser is mounted by two brackets on the top.. at the bottom its mounted to the crossbeam. In my case since I'm running the Cobra R valence, I had to fab up my own lower brackets, but thats not material to this discussion. Anyway, the screenshot below of the Classic Auto Air manual shows how the top of the condenser is mounted and how the A/C lines run to it.

Let me know if you need to me to snap any close up pics of my setup.

Thanks,
-Shannon

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where did you find the fan connectors? I have the same fan but can't find the wiring.
J persons,

I found the fan connectors here: Link

For the 30 amp fuse holders, I used this: Link

Let me know if you need anything else.

-Shannon

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW.. I used this little beast to cut the sheet metal. I have no idea how I've survived without one of these tools for so long!

I've already used it for 3-4 other projects and I've only had it a month.

Link to Amazon

-Shannon

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Good work. I did this conversion over 5 years ago and never regretted it. Even with the AC on the engine temps are still normal.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good work. I did this conversion over 5 years ago and never regretted it. Even with the AC on the engine temps are still normal.
Yep, your write up was one of my inspirations for this project. Thanks for such detailed instructions! Link

-Shannon

·
Registered
390 Posts
I too did this conversation about five or six years ago. Works extremely well and looks like it belongs there in the first place. Read where Shelby did this on the original GT 350 prototype, not the production cars. Always seemed odd that full size cars with 289's had the larger radiator while the mustang of that year did not. Good write up and great mod!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Yep, your write up was one of my inspirations for this project. Thanks for such detailed instructions! Link

-Shannon
I'm glad it was of help and thanks for the shout out. :grin2:

I'd put up on here but I can get all the images and wording to work correctly, and I can't upload the PDF that I created.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thank you for providing the pictures and information on how to perform this mod. I am in the process of doing the same with my 66 fastback. Could you please include some pictures or explain in more detail how you modified the lower radiator mounts.

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,635 Posts
[*]I already owned this, but I have an Autocool 85 contoller (Link). I can't say enough good things about this controller. Ground based, variable temp, dual fan capable, good to 85 total amps, soft start, 1 minute cool down, A/C and manual overrides, USA made. Awesome setup.

Below is a pic of the fan as I was fabbing up the wiring harness. I used 10 gauge wire and 30 amp fuses for each fan. The controller I use is ground based so the red wires go directly to the battery and the black to the controller. This is before I wrapped up the harness obviously:

So how does it perform? HA!!! Like a champ. Today was a great testing day in NC. The temp was 93-95 degrees and the engine temp never went above 180 no matter how hard I ran it. That Contour fan is amazing and blows probably double the rate of my old Derale.

The best part, unless you're a vintage Mustang know-it-all, you'd swear it was a factory setup. :)

Thanks for reading.

-Shannon
Shannon,
I just finished installing the Contour dual fans in my 69 Coupe & was wondering where did you mount the fan controller?.
Mike.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for providing the pictures and information on how to perform this mod. I am in the process of doing the same with my 66 fastback. Could you please include some pictures or explain in more detail how you modified the lower radiator mounts.
Teddy,

I don't have any pics of the modifications I made for the lower mounts, but essentially I had to modify the part that bolts to the diagonal frame brace. If I remember, I had to shorten it and bend it a bit to fit the 1965 brace. It only took about 10 minutes per side to made fit.

Hope this helps,
-Shannon

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shannon,
I just finished installing the Contour dual fans in my 69 Coupe & was wondering where did you mount the fan controller?.
Mike.
Mike,

Since I already had to sacrifice my windshield waster system to fit in a Crane ignition box I mounted it on the lower driver's side fender apron where the washer pump used to be mounted. But you might be able to mount it in a similar location without removing the pump. I can't really say since I have that big ole ignition box taking up much of the room.

I had never used the washer pump (not once) it wasn't a big sacrifice. :grin2:

Take care,
-Shannon

·
Registered
980 Posts
So ever since I've had my 331, my cooling system has been able to borderline keep my 1965 cool. A couple years ago, I upgraded to a larger radiator, then a high flow water pump.. they all helped, but on a really hot day, if I was running it hard, the temp would slowly start to creep up until I let off of it. It would idle all day without overheating and I had no trouble on the highway. But on a really hot day (90+), if I wanted to, I could make it overheat by just spiritedly driving around.

I've got an A/C system installed, but I've never got it charged because I thought that the extra heat would be the straw that broke the camels back. Although I've always thought the addition of the condenser in front of my radiator was responsible for most of my problems.

I've been running a Derale electric fan for the past few years. Its a nice unit (Link to Summit Racing) and it pulls a lot of air for it size. But compared to a modern OEM electric fan or even a clutch fan, its pretty puny. The problem is, the 1965-66 radiator size is pretty small at about 16" and I have less than 4" of depth from the radiator to the water pump pulley. All this makes my electric fan choices somewhat limited.

I've been contemplating moving to a larger radiator. I read an article on Mustang Steve's website (Link) that detailed how to install a 20" to 24" radiator in a 65-66 Mustang. So after a lot of reading, I decided to take the plunge.

I obtained the following parts:

1. A 24" ACP aluminum radiator for a 1970 Mustang. I need the lower outlet on the drivers side. (Link). The reason I picked this unit is because of the dual core / 1.25" tubes and it fits with all the factory mounting brackets.
  2. Lower radiator brackets for a 1968-70 Mustang (Link)
  3. An Upper radiator bracket for a 1967-68 Mustang (Link)
  4. Insulators for the above brackets (Lower) and (Upper)
  5. I sourced an electric fan from a 1999 Ford Contour V6. Its a dual fan setup and it blows like a friggin hurricane. Plus, it fits the 24" radiator like it was made for it.
  6. For the upper radiator hose, I used a Gates 21736 hose. This is a lower radiator hose for a Bronco II
  7. I already owned this, but I have an Autocool 85 contoller (Link). I can't say enough good things about this controller. Ground based, variable temp, dual fan capable, good to 85 total amps, soft start, 1 minute cool down, A/C and manual overrides, USA made. Awesome setup.

I took the front end off the car and used Mustang Steve's dimensions to cut the opening:

I had to modify the new lower radiator brackets a bit to fit my 1965 strut rod brace.. but once that was done, the radiator fit great. I mounted the fan to the radiator using some 3/4" angle aluminum sourced from Lowes.

Here is the setup installed and complete:

I got lucky, because even the condensor A/C lines fit:

Thanks for reading.

-Shannon
just a question Shannon, can you tell me how deep the fans are? I have a similar issue with mine. I already have a larger radiator, cut out front end, and I'm using a 2400cfm shrouded derale. The fan is nice and great looking. As it was with your car, mine will get to 195-200 driving a bit hard with outside temps over 90. It's not bad, but I was used to 180 when I had a similar setup in my fox.
My derale is 3" deep and just have enough space between the fan nose and the water pump nose.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
just a question Shannon, can you tell me how deep the fans are? I have a similar issue with mine. I already have a larger radiator, cut out front end, and I'm using a 2400cfm shrouded derale. The fan is nice and great looking. As it was with your car, mine will get to 195-200 driving a bit hard with outside temps over 90. It's not bad, but I was used to 180 when I had a similar setup in my fox.
My derale is 3" deep and just have enough space between the fan nose and the water pump nose.
Thanks!
The fan is a little over 3" at its thickest point. However, where the two fans meet, the assembly is more shallow.. Maybe 2.5" This shallow section is just where the water pump pulley is. The net effect is that I actually have more room than I had with the single electric fan.

I've been driving my Mustang around a lot lately in the 95+ degree heat and it doesn't get over 180. I love this new setup.

Hope this helps.

-Shannon

·
Registered
980 Posts
The fan is a little over 3" at its thickest point. However, where the two fans meet, the assembly is more shallow.. Maybe 2.5" This shallow section is just where the water pump pulley is. The net effect is that I actually have more room than I had with the single electric fan.

I've been driving my Mustang around a lot lately in the 95+ degree heat and it doesn't get over 180. I love this new setup.

Hope this helps.

-Shannon
Perfect! Thanks

1 - 20 of 36 Posts