Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
69 fastback.. originally a straight 6. i threw in a 351w.

i have a reg. 20" brass/copper 2 row rad that seen better days and requiring to replace it. should be noted i was never satisfied with the cooling i got from it...although it still worked and did what it had to do, so theres no hate.... lol...anyways without going to a 400-500$ aluminum rad i was looking at getting another 20" copper/brass one for 160$. also found a 24" one for 200$
now will i get any sugnificant coolling difference from a 20 to a 24?
cause if i go with a 24 i will need to fabricate my own brackets as it wont fit in properly and im also on a tight budget.

anyone know as a fact or have opinions?

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I have a brand new 24" 3 row radiator in front of my stroked big block (FE) motor. Does not overheat even in Houston in the summer. I also have the shroud and a 6 blade fixed blade fan. I know that clutch fans are stock but I wanted to move as much air as possible all the time.

I bought a set of the repop lower mounts and they were not even close. I sent them back and bought some OEM ones off ebay.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Check out Summit Racing. They have North American made, 2-row, 1 inch tubed radiators for $300. (Not sure about shipping etc for Canada though). Direct fit too.

EDIT: the first gen cars are 250-300, I found one that might be right now sure, they are $360 for you. Sorry.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-380479/

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, yeah it sucks with shipping charges.
The thing is our dollar is equal to the US dollar however the prices have not adjusted yet. So buying Canadian is very expensive...

But does anyone have any views on the cooling difference between 4 inches of radiator size?

·
Registered
1970 Mustang Mach 1
1,242 Posts
If the 351w is mildly modified the 20 in rad is fine with a good fan and shroud. I changed to a 24 in for a heavily modified 418w. I had a almost new desert cooler rad that I scrapped months ago, too bad. I have oem 20 and 24 in shrouds if you need one cheap. Alan

·
Registered
121 Posts
at8once, just a shipping tip from a fellow Canadian. If you can wait handle the slightly longer shipping time, ask your vendor to ship via US Post. Not only is the quoted shipping fee generally considerably less than UPS/FedEx, but you won't get DINGED with the "brokerage" fee that the cartage companies add on at your door. (UPS are absolute villains when it comes to "brokerage" fees.) The savings is very substantial... usually worth the wait in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I am not sure if they have Karbelt speed shops in Ottawa but I imagine so..I bought a northern rad at my local Karbelt for under $300..It was a very easy swap and works great cooling my 408....For some reason even when our dollar is close or at par with the U.S it doesn't seem to come across up here..Most people probably don't realize we pay close to double for our go fast parts what our buddies in the States do! :(

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the great advice guys. i think ill go with the 24 that way ill feel better about it and maybe wont have to worry so much about it.

on a side note.. yeah our Canadian prices are f***ed... the government wants and says we shoulf buy locally and support our own communities... yet prices are easily double those in the US.
it would be an interesting study to see how much it would cost a Canadian to fully restore a car over our an American... I could imagine were talking some big bucks!!
Plus our gas prices are jacked! so were still paying more once the car is done. haha.
anyways thats my rant for the night ;)

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I would pay in US funds. That should help your issue

1 - 9 of 9 Posts