Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
I actually bought the same radiator, except with the fan shroud and fans provided by the seller. Everything should be here tomorrow and I hope to make the switch this weekend. I too am going with the stock mounts. I also bought a 34oz stainless overflow, and nice coolant filter off of summit. Every I needed was right around $600 total. only thing i have to work out is making a new mount for the condenser and extending the discharge house out a little to the side of the new radiator.

·
Registered
566 Posts
@jdub I agree that the extra 1/8 inch will help cooling. Everything I read says it's about tube to fin ratio. The more tube in contact with the fine the better. That's why a two row aluminum cools better than three row stock radiator. Its 2 inch worth of tubing touching the fins vs 1.75 or so of the 3 core copper/brass radiator. With 1 1/8 tubes means 2.25 inch contact area as well as extra coolant in the system. Also as far as the alternator goes I would suggest not running the hipo pulley it's larger 3.75 inch diameter means less rpms at the alternator. You need to be running 1800-2000 rpm for a 3g to charge right at idle. To figure that out you take crank pulley diameter dived by alternator pulley diameter and multiply by idle rpm. In the case of hi-po pulley that's 6.6 / 3.75 x 750 = 1320 rpms at the alternator. I bought a Mr Gasket double groove #6809 measures 2.5 inches and will produce 2000 rpms at idle. My single groove squeals a lot once the belt wears a little. Hoping the double groove works better.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
If you are using a 3G and it's hooked up correctly, you will see 14 volts at idle and no load. This is with stock sized pulleys. The 3G is designed to charge at idle speed That 1800 to 2000 RPM charge sounds like a GM one wire.
A properly set up 130 AMP 3G can produce 81 amps at 900 engine RPM

·
Registered
566 Posts
I was going off of several websites, most recently read those numbers off of the PA performance website. Are you talking engine RPM or the actual RPM of the alternator? Those will be different. I am saying 1800-2000 at alternator. Remember the alternator pulley is smaller than the crankshaft pulley. So every full turn of the crankshaft will produce multiple turns of the alternator pulley so RPMs will be higher.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Here's an article from Hot Rold mag. Scroll down towards the bottom, there's a chart showing a 130A 3G output vs RPM
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/install-high-output-ford-3g-alternator-older-fords/
I am pretty sure we are saying the same thing. You said engine RPM and I stated it in RPM at the alternator. Regulate size pulley produces 2.4:1 ratio so 900 engine RPM would put the alternator well over 2000 rpm. The important point that I was trying to make was that if he uses to big of an alternator pulley he will not spin the alternator fast enough.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts