Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Descriptions on the various websites are lacking.

I bought a 24" aluminum radiator. 2.5" tanks., 2 core, 1" tubes.

I need to figure out what mounts to use.

From what I gather, the insulators are different thicknesses to allow for 2-3-4 core radiators to fit the same brackets.

Of course the descriptions do not state which insulators are needed for which radiator.

Anyone?

·
Registered
181 Posts
In the event you can't find off the shelf mounts and need to make your own...look at these guys and how they do it.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I received my new radiator today and made a trip to Summit for brackets. I live about 45 miles from Summit, with traffic/accidents/construction and the really messed up exit that I take to get off I-75 and into the parking lot it takes about 1.5 hours to get into the door.

I bought a Champion AE338. It is tall. I have less than 1/2" from the radiator cap to the hood. Thats with the bottom of the radator sitting on the radiator support crossmember.

Its also wide, to wide to use the holes in the core support. It just touches the battery tray but I can fudge it a 1/4-1/2" for some wiggle room.

I took the radiator with me to Summit.

I bought a set of SD aluminum radiator brackets and they are to wide. My tanks are 2" wide and the SD brackets are for a 3" wide tank.

I returned those and bought a set of lower brackets with a C3 p/n. Those are also to wide but I can make them work.

The oem upper 67 bracket is to narrow.

Im going to have to think this over and decide if I will be able to use this radiator or not.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
944 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Thanks for the link. Do you think some jb weld or 2 part epoxy would be strong enough to hold aluminum brackets onto the radiator?

I may have found next weeks project

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
I am assuming this is for your 65 as the 67 should be more of a drop in deal. Not sure if you have seen this article, looks like they mounted the radiator differently then with the mounts.

Why won't mag writers include any part numbers in their articles, like the radiator hoses and bracket numbers? It would probably make some of these articles actually worth reading.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I don’t like the look of the square tanks, I’m looking at at a few different ones and one has them on back order for months now..So summit has them, cold case and there an 1 1/4 tube size. I’m going to order one of those and will see how it’s going to fit..

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its for my 67. I watched the WCC video on installing a 24" in a Cougar. It looks like on the Cougar the core support is different and the radiator sits about 1-2" back toward the engine than on my 67 Mustang.

Reviews say that people modify the brackets and put this radiator in a 67 Mustang

I have some ideas so Im going to play with it today and see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
757 Posts
If this is for a 65-66 I recently went through this with a champion 24" radiator.

I ended up making spacers and drilling holes in my support. I have roughly 1/16th inch clearance between my shelby hood and the radiator cap.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I have used the aluminum drake bracket that is too big. I also used a bicycle tube to make a rubber spacer between radiator and bracket and take up the slack. The bracket hides the tube pretty well. It worked in a pinch. I think I also used a portion of the factory rubber mounts for a small block, that fit inside the brackets in addition to the bike tube.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
On the bottom Im using C8ZZ-8052-A brackets and C8ZZ-8125-A insulators. I had to grind about an 1/8" off the top of the brackets due to the shape of the bottom of the Champion AE338 radiator. I had some old rubber floor mats and I added an additional layer of rubber on the insulator so the radiator would sit a bit higher. This keeps the transmission cooler part of the radiator off the crossmember and no metal to metal contact. The brackets are to wide for the radiator, but I am only using them to transfer the weight of the radiator to the crossmember.

I kept my 67 filler panels and positioned them so that the radiator would bolt to them. They are exactly wide enough for the new radiator. The filler panels hold the radiator in place and the bottom brackets bear the weight.

I had to take a large adjustable wrench and do some bending on the cross member to get the waves out of it.

The filler panels cover about a 1" of the fins on each side, I could cut them out but I think I will leave them the way they are for now. I dont think it will be an issue on a bone stock engine and they provide quite a bit of rigidity to the mount. On second thought, I could drill 1" holes in the panels, that would allow air transfer and keep the panels rigid.

Also, I do not want to paint it, but I dont like seeing the aluminum through the grill, I will have to work on that.

SD shroud C9OZ-8146-A fits the radiator perfectly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts