Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking like the Mustang might need a new battery. I've noticed the prices falling on the AGM batteries and I can get one for under $150 from Advance Auto with a 25% discount.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autocraft-platinum-agm-battery-group-size-24f-710-cca-24f-agm/10310750-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=10310750-P&adtype=pla_with_promotion&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvr374orL3gIVArnACh0yNQ8nEAYYAiABEgKulfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I like the theoretical no vent or leak aspect of AGM batteries. Do they last longer or is it just as much of a a crap shoot as the normal lead acid batteries.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both Advance Auto and Autozone carry the same AGM batteries that are made by Johnson Controls. Johnson Controls also owns Optima at this point and it's possible they make all AGM batteries? I like the more conventional look and lower price of the store branded batteries over the Optima's. I guess I'll give one a try.

·
Registered
34,155 Posts
No, Johnson Controls doesn't make all AGM batteries. I think LaurieS gutted an old 24F case and put 2 wheelchair batteries inside... you might be able to find a the post way back when.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, Johnson Controls doesn't make all AGM batteries..
I assumed not, but you never know these days.

I think LaurieS gutted an old 24F case and put 2 wheelchair batteries inside... you might be able to find a the post way back when.
Sounds like a lot of work that I am not into at this point! Although not original looking the black and gray of the JC battery will be an improvement over the white and green Interstate it replaces. I imagine a little black paint on 2 sides and a Autolite "topper" and it would look factory!:wink:

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Sorry for reviving an old thread but I'm in a similar situation. My Axion-manufactured Autolite Group 27 AGM battery failed and I've been searching for a replacement that doesn't cost $300+. Found this thread and thought it was quite interesting that in less than a year most AGM battery prices have increased to similar levels as Optima RedTop batteries. I searched for group 24 sized AGM batteries from Interstate, AdvancedAuto branded versions, Exide, Odyssey, and Costco and they're all around the $200 price point.

I don't want to use a traditional vented lead-acid battery and I've enjoyed the performance of my past AGM battery. With prices close to Optima RedTops, are there other AGM batteries with 600+ CCA that anyone can recommend. I've heard of customer service and other issues with Optima so it seems most have a love/hate relationship with them but I've never used one so I'd be open to buying one.

BTW - my battery is trunk mounted with a '67 style bracket securing it so while the top of the battery needs to remain approx 6.75" wide, based on the Group Size 24, but the length/height/posts are flexible. Additionally, I don't care what the battery looks like. If the battery I find supports using the Autolite topper, I may buy it, but with my battery in the trunk, it rarely sees the light of day.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I'm using a group 34\78 agm battery from O'Reilly Auto. 750 cca .
Not light . Must weigh close to 40#

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
I'm using a group 34\78 agm battery from O'Reilly Auto. 750 cca .
Not light . Must weigh close to 40#
Thanks for sharing. Looks like this is your battery?
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/platinum-5003/battery-accessories-16452/battery---automotive-16864/battery-12836/aa237490c00e/super-start-platinum-group-size-34-78-dual-terminal-battery/3478plt/4742695/1966/ford/mustang

It does state that battery weighs 43lbs but at $189 with a $15 oreillys gift card, it does make it a bit cheaper over the Optima. How long have you been using that battery?

For comparison, I'm also considering the Optima RedTop Group Size 35 as it's available for $200 and weighs 32lbs.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/redtop-4482/battery-accessories-16452/battery---automotive-16864/battery-12836/aa237490c00e/optima-red-group-size-35-top-post-battery/red35/4573820/1966/ford/mustang

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
If I was buying one I’d go to pep boys and get the Bosch AGM platinum battery. Pretty sure they’re made by Exide. If you live anywhere by a Rural King Store they have their own label of the same battery. For a while they’d ship them so I have 3 in 3 different vehicles one being my Mustang. (I did buy the marine version, don’t really need the dual terminal but it had a higher amp hour rating) Then they stopped so if I was getting something local it would be the Bosch. I used to buy Ootima, but they got pricey and other companies seem to have caught up with the technology.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
If I was buying one I’d go to pep boys and get the Bosch AGM platinum battery. Pretty sure they’re made by Exide. If you live anywhere by a Rural King Store they have their own label of the same battery. For a while they’d ship them so I have 3 in 3 different vehicles one being my Mustang. (I did buy the marine version, don’t really need the dual terminal but it had a higher amp hour rating) Then they stopped so if I was getting something local it would be the Bosch. I used to buy Ootima, but they got pricey and other companies seem to have caught up with the technology.

@gregb, thanks for the suggestion. I'm actually right near you in Torrance. I'd looked at Bosch batteries prior but they were priced at $194, which is similar to Optima and didn't really sway me. However, PepBoys is currently running a promotion online which drops the price to $146 + tax so approx $160 out the door (with core exchange). I might go this route since I respect Bosch products and the reviews of this battery are quite good.

To further complicate the decision, Jegs has the Optima 35 RedTop for $200, free shipping and no CA tax, and is running a $10 off per $100 spent promo so I'm at $180 delivered. Just grabbing the Bosch may be the easiest bet though. Do you own the Bosch battery?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry for reviving an old thread but I'm in a similar situation. My Axion-manufactured Autolite Group 27 AGM battery failed and I've been searching for a replacement that doesn't cost $300+. Found this thread and thought it was quite interesting that in less than a year most AGM battery prices have increased to similar levels as Optima RedTop batteries. I searched for group 24 sized AGM batteries from Interstate, AdvancedAuto branded versions, Exide, Odyssey, and Costco and they're all around the $200 price point.

I don't want to use a traditional vented lead-acid battery and I've enjoyed the performance of my past AGM battery. With prices close to Optima RedTops, are there other AGM batteries with 600+ CCA that anyone can recommend. I've heard of customer service and other issues with Optima so it seems most have a love/hate relationship with them but I've never used one so I'd be open to buying one.

BTW - my battery is trunk mounted with a '67 style bracket securing it so while the top of the battery needs to remain approx 6.75" wide, based on the Group Size 24, but the length/height/posts are flexible. Additionally, I don't care what the battery looks like. If the battery I find supports using the Autolite topper, I may buy it, but with my battery in the trunk, it rarely sees the light of day.
Brent- Sam's Club carries a battery that should work for you. As of a couple of weeks ago, they also had 20 dollars off all AGM batteries. I know because I purchased 2 group 31's from them for my offroad truck.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/auto-group-24-34agm-36-mo-free/prod9510079.ip?xid=plp_product_1_7 Current price shows 154.13 in the LA area. If the 20 dollars off is still on, it would be 134.13.

Specs: Specifications
20 amp hour rate:55
Battery electrolyte composition: Glass Mat
Battery end type: Top post
Battery purpose: Starting lighting instrumentation
BCI group size: 34
CA at 32 degrees F: 890
CCA at 0 degrees F: 775
Freight class: 65
Polarity: Left positive
Reserve capacity: 120
Terminal type:DIN
Volts: 12

The battery is offered with a 3 year free replacement warranty and is manufactured by Deka/East Penn. It is also made in the USA. If you pick one up, make sure you buy the freshest date code available ;)

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Hmmm, decision time. I like the Sam's Club Duracell battery for its low ~$150 price (with tax and after $20 promo). The Pep Boys Bosch battery is approx $160 and includes a 4-year free replacement warranty, whereas the Duracell and Optima are 3-years. But the Optima RedTop 35 comes in at 32lbs, almost 10lbs lighter than the Duracell/Bosch and only a bit costlier at $180.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
@gregb, thanks for the suggestion. I'm actually right near you in Torrance. I'd looked at Bosch batteries prior but they were priced at $194, which is similar to Optima and didn't really sway me. However, PepBoys is currently running a promotion online which drops the price to $146 + tax so approx $160 out the door (with core exchange). I might go this route since I respect Bosch products and the reviews of this battery are quite good.

To further complicate the decision, Jegs has the Optima 35 RedTop for $200, free shipping and no CA tax, and is running a $10 off per $100 spent promo so I'm at $180 delivered. Just grabbing the Bosch may be the easiest bet though. Do you own the Bosch battery?
I have the Rural King version. I have one in my Tundra, one in a boat and one in my Mustang. For a while they were 119 shipped. They don’t ship batteries anymore or I’d have bought one for my Chevelle.....when the optima finally goes out in it I’ll get the Bosch. Just my preference. Optimas still have good specs but the Exide/Bosch had more reserve capacity on the ones I looked at.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Just looking, the Bosch in a group 35 weighs 37 pounds, has 110 minute reserve capacity, 780cca at 32 degrees and 650 at 0 degrees, not a temp seen in Torrance since the last ice age I imagine.

The Optima weighs 31.7 pounds, has a 90 minute reserve, and 720cca with no temp giving, which I think means 32 degrees rating.

See ya around Torrance or the beach......

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
I replace mine about every 7 yrs whether is needs it or not.

I just put in an exide Sprinter classic a few weekends ago

$115 with 2 yr replacement

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
I replace mine about every 7 yrs whether is needs it or not.

I just put in an exide Sprinter classic a few weekends ago

$115 with 2 yr replacement
I was just at Home Depot and looked at their car batteries and the Exide Sprinter is the only battery they stocked. All models were priced in the $80-$120 range but were all flooded lead acid, not AGM.

I ended up grabbing the Bosch Platinum Series AGM Battery, Size 24F, Part# 24F710BAGM, from Pep Boys as they had it in stock and they're currently running a 25% off online promo. Ended up being $163 out the door with core exchange. Additionally, the top of the battery is approx 6.375-inches wide which fits nicely with the '67 Mustang style battery hold-down.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
565 Posts

If your battery is in the trunk Brent, is weight LESS of a concern? I've also noticed that the cheap AGM's have gotten MORE expensive, and that's made the expensive AGM's something to consider:

Since nobody mentioned it, I guess I will; not all agm batteries are created equally. The lead inside can be made of:

1. 'lead alloy' (cheaper, lighter, more fragile, self-discharges faster), or
2. '99% pure lead' (heavy, stronger, self-discharges slower) or
3. '99% pure VIRGIN lead', meaning it has never been recycled (heaviest, strongest, slowest self-discharge of the lead tech batteries, AND highest BURST cranking amps).

Batteries for retail use are usually of two types: Deep Cycle (thick plates for slow discharge use, less CCA's, but can be 'cycled', or discharged more times) or Crank batteries (thinner plates for more CCA's, but less cycle life).

The problem with the lead alloy is, if you try to make them thin, they can't take vibration and break easy. That's why you see more cheaper AGM's that are deep cycle (thick plates) and they can work 'ok' like this. When they make cheap AGM a 'crank' battery by thinning the plates, they can't take vibration and die earlier.

So as you can see, the paradox is making a battery cheaper, AND have high CCA's. So engineers resorted to creative cell technology like 'spiral cells' to try to support the fragile lead alloy.

But when they use expensive pure lead, you CAN have the best of both worlds: you can make your plates thin for high CCA's, AND they can be deep cycled like a thick plate alloy cell and last years longer. They are the true 'dual purpose' battery. Thin Plate Pure Lead, or TPPL, is really the best no-compromise option (except cost and weight). Then take that up a notch to VIRGIN TPPL, and you'll have tiny batteries that can produce incredible 1,100 to 1,500 burst CCA's.

I've found that the cheaper lighter Optimas don't last long, and they have dissapointing real world CCA's. Same for all the cheaper auto chain AGM's. Some do last many years longer than others, but no lead alloy battery will endure the years of daily abuse like a TPPL AGM. I've seen em last twice that of the lesser AGM's.

Light cheap AGM batteries rarely boast that they are made of inferior lead-alloy. TPPL batteries will say that is what they are, and they include Northstar, X2 by Northstar sold at Batteries Plus stores, Cabela's X900 by Northstar (see the pattern?). There's more. Certain series by Full River Batteries are TPPL, like their Full Throttle series. The only ones I've found that claim they use VIRGIN TPPL are Odyssey Extreme series, and from my experience, their performance is a cut above all the others. CCA's in real use are astounding, crank your motor like no other battery has. 4 year warranty. They are the heaviest of all, however you can use a way smaller battery and crank your car just fine. Anyone else vouch for Odyssey? They're my pick when dependability is most important.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
If your battery is in the trunk Brent, is weight LESS of a concern? I've also noticed that the cheap AGM's have gotten MORE expensive, and that's made the expensive AGM's something to consider:

Since nobody mentioned it, I guess I will; not all agm batteries are created equally. The lead inside can be made of:

1. 'lead alloy' (cheaper, lighter, more fragile, self-discharges faster), or
2. '99% pure lead' (heavy, stronger, self-discharges slower) or
3. '99% pure VIRGIN lead', meaning it has never been recycled (heaviest, strongest, slowest self-discharge of the lead tech batteries, AND highest BURST cranking amps).

Batteries for retail use are usually of two types: Deep Cycle (thick plates for slow discharge use, less CCA's, but can be 'cycled', or discharged more times) or Crank batteries (thinner plates for more CCA's, but less cycle life).

The problem with the lead alloy is, if you try to make them thin, they can't take vibration and break easy. That's why you see more cheaper AGM's that are deep cycle (thick plates) and they can work 'ok' like this. When they make cheap AGM a 'crank' battery by thinning the plates, they can't take vibration and die earlier.

So as you can see, the paradox is making a battery cheaper, AND have high CCA's. So engineers resorted to creative cell technology like 'spiral cells' to try to support the fragile lead alloy.

But when they use expensive pure lead, you CAN have the best of both worlds: you can make your plates thin for high CCA's, AND they can be deep cycled like a thick plate alloy cell and last years longer. They are the true 'dual purpose' battery. Thin Plate Pure Lead, or TPPL, is really the best no-compromise option (except cost and weight). Then take that up a notch to VIRGIN TPPL, and you'll have tiny batteries that can produce incredible 1,100 to 1,500 burst CCA's.

I've found that the cheaper lighter Optimas don't last long, and they have dissapointing real world CCA's. Same for all the cheaper auto chain AGM's. Some do last many years longer than others, but no lead alloy battery will endure the years of daily abuse like a TPPL AGM. I've seen em last twice that of the lesser AGM's.

Light cheap AGM batteries rarely boast that they are made of inferior lead-alloy. TPPL batteries will say that is what they are, and they include Northstar, X2 by Northstar sold at Batteries Plus stores, Cabela's X900 by Northstar (see the pattern?). There's more. Certain series by Full River Batteries are TPPL, like their Full Throttle series. The only ones I've found that claim they use VIRGIN TPPL are Odyssey Extreme series, and from my experience, their performance is a cut above all the others. CCA's in real use are astounding, crank your motor like no other battery has. 4 year warranty. They are the heaviest of all, however you can use a way smaller battery and crank your car just fine. Anyone else vouch for Odyssey? They're my pick when dependability is most important.

Thanks for the advice and info. For me, weight is of concern but not as much as price. My existing Axion Autolite Group 27 battery weighted almost 60lbs; I've now reduced that down to 42lbs with a battery that has the same CCAs and cost $162. This Bosch battery includes a 4-year replacement warranty which in my book is a good ROI. The Odyssey Extreme batteries may be better quality, but at $250+ it's more than I want to spend and I don't really need anything above 600 CCA with my engine.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Thanks for the advice and info. For me, weight is of concern but not as much as price. My existing Axion Autolite Group 27 battery weighted almost 60lbs; I've now reduced that down to 42lbs with a battery that has the same CCAs and cost $162. This Bosch battery includes a 4-year replacement warranty which in my book is a good ROI. The Odyssey Extreme batteries may be better quality, but at $250+ it's more than I want to spend and I don't really need anything above 600 CCA with my engine.
Is that Bosch an AGM? I started toying with AGM's because I got tired of checking electrolyte levels (in my boat with 4 batteries) AND firewall, tray corrosion in cars. Then I found that pure lead AGM's were lasting me 8-9 years. Then I tried a pair of little Odyssey Extremes in my 16 yr ol' Duramax diesel and it cranks SO much faster than ANY battery I've ever used, I'm sold.

If that Bosch is an AGM, it's amazing that it's got a 4 year warranty, and if so maybe they've got some way to sneak in pure lead to make it last that long? Give it a try. It's so hard to get a straight scoop on some batteries....

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Is that Bosch an AGM? I started toying with AGM's because I got tired of checking electrolyte levels (in my boat with 4 batteries) AND firewall, tray corrosion in cars. Then I found that pure lead AGM's were lasting me 8-9 years. Then I tried a pair of little Odyssey Extremes in my 16 yr ol' Duramax diesel and it cranks SO much faster than ANY battery I've ever used, I'm sold.

If that Bosch is an AGM, it's amazing that it's got a 4 year warranty, and if so maybe they've got some way to sneak in pure lead to make it last that long? Give it a try. It's so hard to get a straight scoop on some batteries....
Those are the exact reasons I'll never swap back to a flooded lead-acid battery in my classics. The Bosch is an AGM, sealed, and maintenance free battery but I'm not sure on the type of lead plates.

https://www.pepboys.com/bosch-platinum-series-agm-battery-group-size-24f/product/838890/1966/FORD/MUSTANG/V8-289

Here are some of the key specs:
Cranking Amps @ 32F 850
Reserve Capacity (minutes) 120
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) @ 0F 710

I also own an AGM-specific battery charger/maintainer which I plan to keep on the battery during down times. The battery I just bought has a label stating it was manufactured 2/2018, which isn't great but it was the newest I could find from PepBoys store stock. I immediately put it on my charger and it says it was at 75% and is charging. Once completed and I get a few drives in, I'll report back with my experiences.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts