Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for the V-8 slip yoke for a 25 spline output shaft, toploader. Approx 3" wide at the yoke, 6 1/2" barrel length, 9" total length. I'm pretty sure these took a 1310 u-joint. Thanks!
Jack

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
OldMil FYI I have personally seen one of these 25spline output shafts go kaboom in a 65 convertible with a mild v8 and not dogging it hard at all, thankfully the lower seatpan bolt in brace acted like a safety loop and kept the driveshaft from dropping into the pavement. mainshaft twisted off and destroyed the transmissions tail shaft housing and beat up the floor a bit. I'd be looking for a 28 spline yoke and buy a 28spline main shaft and swap out the guts in the trans to the new main shaft. this is one case where the internet warning is true.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I am fully aware of these light duty units. For now, I just want to get the car out on the road to sort out some things. I promise to be gentle! I did not realize the previous owner installed the early trans. Picture me scratching my head when I let the clutch out and the car did not move. The drive shaft has a 28 spline yoke and the 25 spline output shaft just spun inside. Didn't really even make any noise. I have another toploader that I am rebuilding and will be swapping them later. For now, just want it to move :). Jack

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
10 4, just as aside the 25 spline yoke is likely going to have internal snap rings, what style drive shaft do you have with the 28 spline yoke?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts