Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello -

Just came across 2 mint BF Goodrich Radial TA's in 255/60/15 for a very good price. I was thinking now might be a great time to upgrade from my beat up 14 inch Cragars.

Any ideas if these will fit with a 15x7 TT-D ?? I was thinking of going with a 205/60/15 for the front. I just dont want the back to stick out real far and look cheezy. Seeing those bigger than normal widths underneath a car has always impressed me.

Thanks for your opinions, Matt

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
That's a pretty wide tire for a 7" wheel. If you try it, you'll definately need your wheel wells rolled totally flat, and will need some very stiff springs in the back. I have 225/60's in back and will get an occasional rub with them if I have passengers in the back or hit a dip at high speeds.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I have 245/60/15s on 7" rims on the rear of the Fastback(205/60/15s front). However, that's with HD 5 leaf, standard eye springs and KYB shocks. The rear is out of a 68, and it's 1" wider per side than stock. So, I have close to 5" backspacing to compensate for the wider rear. If the rear was stock width, I would think that about 4" backspacing would be required for 245s. In my case, the tires don't stick out and don't rub; but 255s may be pushing the limit.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I'm running 275-60r15 on the back of my 66 fastback. You'll need 15x8" with 4.5" backspacing and a good rear suspension. I never have passengers in the back seat, and it will rub a little when I go over railroad track or big bumps.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Bill Plank, the owner of 6S285 runs BFG 245-60-15s on a set of Shelby 5-spoke 7" wheels that Craig Conley built for him. I didn't see any evidence of rubbing with his setup, but that's with 245s. Bernie saw the car ( the other GT350) at the Bob Bell show a few months ago. I've got a bunch of pictures of his tire set-up and can put you in touch with Bill if it helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts