Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upgrading to 15 x 7" wheels with 4.25 stock backspacing on 66 coupe with stock suspension.
Forum searches indicate I would have no problems with 215/60/15 tire, but I really like the Cooper Cobra GT tires and smallest available is 215/65/15. The Cooper gives a diameter of 26" vs 25", a full 1" taller than 60 aspect tires.

Do you think the additional 1" in height will create clearance problems?

Anyone running this size without rubbing on stock 66 suspension?

Thanks in advance for your help!
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
I think they will fit, as I have a 225/70/14 (26.4" height) on mine and they don't rub.

Reactions: pbloyer

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
I have 205/60/16 on mine, that's a 25.7" tire. I had to roll the fender lips, but it works fine now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have 205/60/16 on mine, that's a 25.7" tire. I had to roll the fender lips, but it works fine now.

Wow! I heard the QC was bad back then, but 25.7"rubs (without rolling) on yours, but 26.4" works on another--almost 3/4" difference in clearance height seems extreme. And I do not want to roll the fenders.

Could there be other things affecting this? Shock tower sag? Worn Shocks or Springs?
Should I just buy and mount a single tire to check fitment (I understand that once mounted you can't return a tire)?
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Wow! I heard the QC was bad back then, but 25.7"rubs (without rolling) on yours, but 26.4" works on another--almost 3/4" difference in clearance height seems extreme. And I do not want to roll the fenders.

Could there be other things affecting this? Shock tower sag? Worn Shocks or Springs?
Should I just buy and mount a single tire to check fitment (I understand that once mounted you can't return a tire)?
Thanks for the info!
Wheel offset is usually the biggest factor in a given wheel/tire package fitment.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Wheel offset is usually the biggest factor in a given wheel/tire package fitment.

I used wheel adapters to achieve the back spacing that barely allows my tires to clear the trunk drop offs on the inside. They are tucked into the body as tight as the uni-body allows.

My car sits just a bit (not a lot) lower than stock, it does have aftermarket fenders front and rear.

·
Registered
603 Posts
With 4.25 inch backspace your tires should tuck in enough with that size to be inside the fenders so rubbing on the fender lips shouldn't be a problem. As far as the height, looking at my 25 inch tall tires, I don't think you'd have a problem with rubbing the tops of the wheel wells. 26 inch tall tires will throw your speedo off a bit. There are calculators online that'll tell you how much.

Reactions: pbloyer
1 - 8 of 8 Posts