Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My restoration guy claims that with my Fairlane-style air cleaner on my 260, the air cleaner heat shroud and draft tube are different from what would be used on a regular 17" V8 air cleaner.

Is that correct? So, if I replace my Fairlane-style cleaner with a standard 17" Mustang V8 style, I would also have to replace the air cleaner heat shroud and draft tube assembly?

[color:blue]Steve Grant
'64½ Indy 500 Pace Car coupe
</font color=blue> /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
If you have the Bob Mannel book, it addresses the air cleaners for Mustangs. If you don't have the book, go to www.smallblockfords.com and check that website for excerpts from his book regarding air cleaners. It has a picture of the very first Mustang, serial #xxxxxx01, and it has the 17" air cleaner. He does, however, say that some 260 Mustangs may have had the Fairlane air cleaner. I would look at that book and try to decide, but I think you would be safe with the 17" air cleaner. The heat riser tube for the 17" air cleaner has a double bend in it (like the reproduction pieces) where as the Fairlane air cleaner uses a straight tube on the heat riser tube.

65 Mustang Convertible 289 C-code
Ivy Green with Ivy Gold & White Deluxe Interior
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571514&a=11942607&p=42928766.jpg

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ordered the book earlier this morning, but the air cleaner excerpt tell me the full truth regarding the Fairlane-style air cleaner: "Great controversy surrounds the originality of Fairlane type 14" air cleaners on early Mustangs. In fact, some Mustangs did have the taller 14" air cleaner as this photo, taken from POPULAR HOD RODDING's May 1964 issue, shows. [color:red]But a more detailed close-up of this same car clearly shows that the Mustang was a pre-production car.</font color=red> ... Hood rib clearance over the air cleaner mixing duct was essentially non-existent with this arrangement, and the photo shows the flattening done on the air cleaner's mixing duct to obtain the needed clearance. ... Few cars, if any are believed to have come from the factory with the incorrect air cleaner."

I will definitely be getting that standard air cleaner as soon as possible!

[color:blue]Steve Grant
'64½ Indy 500 Pace Car coupe
</font color=blue> /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
0 Posts
I had the same problem deciding on my 260. I had the Fairlane type filter and snorkel but there was no clearance between the hood and the filter. After much research I went to the 17" filter and (different) snorkel. I painted the filter and valve covers in the correct blue for the 260 .

·
Registered
326 Posts
My 260 has an air cleaner with a very small lid - smaller than the OD of the housing itself. Is that the correct one for the 260 that you guys are talking about? I have no plans to put it on the 5.0 BTW.

64 1/2 coupe built around April 30, 1964
was a 260 3-speed becoming a 5.0 5-speed.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
You probably have the Fairlane style that they are talking about. By the way, and none of my business, but I sure hate to see that early of a Mustang losing the 260 and getting the resto-mod treatment. Those real early cars are only going to get rarer as time goes on.

65 Mustang Convertible 289 C-code
Ivy Green with Ivy Gold & White Deluxe Interior
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571514&a=11942607&p=42928766.jpg

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
To add chaos in this discussion, my parent's '65 Ford Ranchwagon has the smaller Aircleaner assy and it was built in July of '65. My hunch is that Ford stuffed in any parts they could get their hands on for the last cars off the assembly line. the air cleaner was painted gold just like the valve covers.

Anyway, I concur regarding the heat riser tubes are different depending on type of air cleaner and type of car.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

G

·
0 Posts
HI,
your resto guy is correct. The heat shroud is wider and draft tube has a bend in the middle on the correct large air cleaner.
The small air cleaner was used on small block equipped Fairlanes and Falcons (and Rancheros) all the way up to at least 1968.
The only difference is that the early (1963/4) ones had "front" punched into the top front of the air cleaner, and the later ones did not. I believe they used a decal.
//Claes

Claes - used to be "FAST66"
66 2+2
64 Fairlane 500 project
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=366211&a=2708878&p=17945776.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts