Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which style air cleaner is considered correct for the 64.5 260 V-8 engine? The 65-67 style V-8 or the Fairlane type air cleaner with the small lid?

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
According to Bob Mannel's book, there is a lot of controversy about which air-cleaner is correct. Depending on the build date of your car, there may be at least two different "correct" air cleaners. Jeff Speegle may be able to address this more clearly as to what judges look for.

65 FB "J" 302 lots of mods. 94 GT K&N only.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/view?u=1590489&a=12113030&p=43871256&Sequence=7&res=high.jpg

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The standard 17" 65-66 low-profile V8 air cleaner is correct.

Interesting you should ask. I just went through a thorough research on this subject because my 260 V8 car currently has the 14" Fairlane air cleaner that I foolishly demanded when the car was restored a couple years ago. I just got Bob Mannel's small block V8 book a couple weeks ago, and on page 4-32 he proves that the only known photos of a Mustang with the 14" Fairlane air cleaner were pre-production cars. The snorkel on the Fairlane cleaner does not clear the diagonal hood rib, and the contact requires the snorkel to be mashed down to clear the hood. I solved it so far by removing the snorkel when the hood is down, but I have a new 17" air cleaner all painted up and ready to install this week!

[color:blue]Steve Grant
'64½ Indy 500 Pace Car coupe
</font color=blue> /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1572046&a=11947204&p=42951236&Sequence=3.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
yep, the rubbing on the hood is the dead give-away. Saw a very nice 260 car last weekend in Charlotte with the wrong air cleaner. Nice shiny rubbed spot on the snorkel and hood!

I get a kick out of the guys who adamantly say that the air cleaner is correct... then put on another piece of electrical tape on the rubbed area before they leave the show /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts