Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[color:blue]The 1964½ 260cid</font color=blue> /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

The history of the car is, that the 260 was rebuilt 5 years a go, and had 500 to a 1000 miles on it when the car was T-boned and totaled. The PO let it set and never started it after that.

A week a go I went ahead and prepped the engine with, MM oil, plugs, oil, carb. to get it ready to fire. Today I decided was the day to hear this nice little 260 come back to life! I through a battery in, bypassed the tank and ran a line to a fuel can, pulled the coil wire, stuck the key in and turned it over several times to give everything a good coating. Put the wire back on, a little gas.....no go. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Not even a maybe. Checked for spark, What spark? pulled the meter out, found a bad wire to the coil, bypassed that directly to the battery, and tried again..... This time a couple of want to's, but again, no go. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Checked for fuel... What fuel? Checked the fuel pump and I'm getting pressure, but not what I think it should be, filter is probably clogged on the pump. Hmmm, sure would be easier to pull if that power steering pump was out of the way! By now it's 106 degrees, decide to call it a day. Round 1 goes to (64½ 260) Stay tuned for Round 2....

Good news, I went back over to check out the dreaded semi trailer for an exhaust manifold, as I knew it was going to be at least 120 degrees inside. As I was getting ready to open the back doors, I looked down and there before me on the ground was the exact manifold I was looking for! Even with the proper date code which didn't really matter to me. Hmmm, where did this come from, because I didn't see it yesterday? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Bad news was, I forgot to bring something to hold the manifold with, and after soaking up the sun in 106 degree weather all day, it was like trying to carry hot potatos back to the car which is parked equal to ½ a block away. At least I can get the cougar on the road by the weekend! Might not have any sensation in my hands for a while, but I got my manifold! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Next time, take off your shirt and use it as a hot-pad, turn it inside-out if it's a nice one...now teach the 260 who's boss.

·
2,695 Posts
Whiz,

On the day we started my 260 for the first time - it would not cooperate
until we filled the float bowl on the carb thru the vent.

The the fuel pump seemed to wake up and has been fine ever since!

By the way - what carb do you have on that thing?

-ZIm

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I may have to do the same, although it will have to wait a few more days to live again, since other work has priority the rest of the week.

As far as the carb, I didn't really pay much attention, but it appeared to be the original 2bbl. (F-code) I know the intake is the original with the C4 stamp on it. Even has what looks to be an original yellow top coil still pulsating away. The carb looks really fresh, it may have been rebuilt then as well. Who-ever rebuilt the engine left the exterior as original as the day it came, such as leaving the generator intact instead of swapping it out for a more popular choice of an alternator. However when they rebuilt it, they painted the block & valve covers blue, once I pressure wash all of the dust & cobwebs out of the bay, the engine will look brand new. It never even had a chance to get dirty or oily before the accident happened.

My plans are to get it purring, take some video of it running, pull it out, new gaskets & seals, check the internals for any abnormalities, blast all of the exterior pulleys, air cleaner, etc., repaint everything correctly for 64½, detail it, and make someone a good deal on a complete ready to drop and go package for their 64½. I know one person that has already expressed interest. Just wished I had another 64½ I could throw it in and keep!

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Doug,

You definitely must have friends in the high places - with a sense of humor to boot! Glad you found that manifold. It took me years to find the correct '69 Firebird "high output" 350 exhaust manifold. I finally found one in some obscure yard and then not too much later I sold the car...

I hope your hand gets better!

Dean T

(wish I could spell)

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finally found one in some obscure yard and then not too much later I sold the car...

Doh! Don't say that, as I have no intentions (at the moment anyway...) of selling the 70 Convertible XR7! I'm hoping to make this my daily driver before to long. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
You are a nut.

The morning fog/low clouds burned off here about 9:30 am. High temp was about 85. That is hot for here.

Got an electric fuel pump laying around? Since you've got so many Fords, you may want to consider fabricating a 'mobile engine start set' which would include electric fuel pump, battery, coil wiring with ballast resistor, start and ignition switch, so you can wheel the set upto a car, clip on the jumper and ignition cables, connect up the fuel and go!
Additionally, install a cupholder for your favorite adult beverage and an umbrella for those extra hot days!

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
A convertible! Did I mention the F-bird was a factory 4 spd convertible also? The parallels are disturbingly close: Both 'verts are sisters of a more famous model, both needed an exhaust manifold... LOL

Seriously, I think your XR7 would be a cool daily driver. It'll probably be a little easier on the gas than a '66 T-Bird (not a good time to have a thirsty 428 - *G*).

I bet you'll have the 260 running like a song in Round 2 but have a fire extinquisher ready in case it " burps".

Happy Wrenching!

Dean T

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hehe! I was just thinking that same thing today when I came across an old electric fuel pump I pulled off of a MG years ago that I had owned. Was thinking along the same lines of making a field box to save some time. Now, just got to find time to make the box! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a 1968 Firebird 400, 4spd when I was in High School. Man I loved that car! It was just a hardtop, but had fun giving a different girl a ride home every day from school, ah the memories!....

And yep I agree with the 428 gas guzzler. I do miss both my 66 428 Tbirds, but they didn't get driven much since gas was nearly $2 bucks a gallon at the time I still had them. btw, how's things coming with you 66?

I've still got the two 65's and my 67 suicide 4 door Tbird. I'm wanting to keep the 67, and turn it into a nice little cruiser slash family car since the kids are getting older. They're already complaining who has to sit in the backseat of the Mustang! Plus the 67 just floats on the highway, much nicer for long trips than the mustang. I love driving it! And at least this family 4 door would have a little bit of class verses some of these newer front wheel drive imports.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Stay tuned for Round 2....

Better hold off for a couple days....unless you work at night...*G*

BTW, a little squirt bottle of gas (I use an old "I can't believe it's not Butter" bottle) to squirt down the carb throat usually gets things going. I usually have just stuck a rubber hose on the fuel inlet to the pump prior to attempting to crank the engine and dumped it into a gallon gas can.

I like the idea of the engine start cart though...we used something similar to start FE dragsters back in the old days...I think if I was doing what you are for a living, I'd build one...

Stay cool man!

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Regarding the two dead '66's, I'm getting closer to working on them. Just finished replacing the '78 wagon's front main seal again and about ready to remove the '65 coupe's engine (bad main bearing) so I may be able to get a buddy to also swap the two T-bird's engines so I can get the T-bird I want running. Then it's rebuild the brakes. I'll figure out what needs to be fixed next from there (Probably Power steering, charging system, ignition system, and lights). Work keeps sending me on travel so I may not get to the T-birds for a little bit.

Those suicide door '67s are neat. Being Ford's flagship model, the '67 T-bird would make a good luxury family car. Or you can get a newer front wheel drive import and have trouble finding it in parking lots because it looks just like everyone elses. hehheh.

Dean T

1 - 12 of 12 Posts