Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Winner!!! By Unanimous Decision......[color:blue]Whizco!!!</font color=blue>

As I predicted in round 2, the 260 V8 was quickly KO'd in the 3rd round! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Found the battery to be at fault in the round 2, quickly switched out the battery, filled the float bowl as zim64half and Whisper had suggested, pumped the carb a couple of times, good fuel, good battery, I am ready!

Got in and turned the key over and it fired right up on first try! Man that sounded good! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif I let it run for a short time, and just warm up since it has been 5 years since it last got to purr. Once warm, I checked it out at higher rpm's and man it was sounding even sweeter. It actually sounds better than the 289 in the 67 vert, no joke!.

No knocks, or ticks, no vacuum leaks, no exhaust leaks. It is still hard to believe that this thing had sit for 5 years! The only thing it wouldn't do, was hold an idle at a steady rpm. A couple of tweaks on the carb. should fix that though.

Will...Now on to the next phase, pulling it out, checking it inside & out, degrease, new gaskets & seals, new paint, tune up & oil, and start looking to find it a new home in another 64½ needing a transplant.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Was it ever in question? You would have gone 150 rounds, wouldn't ya? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
Way to go !
D

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Glad it worked out Doug....

You know, I was just checking the D-coder today to see if I could help out a VMFer wanting to convert a 5 bolt 289 to an AOD and discovered the engine is a 6 bolt...never gave it a second thought years ago when I had it out, but I guess it's not date correct...oh, well...

Too bad your engine isn't a 289 5 bolt... *G*

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You Know!.... I do have a 289, 1964 long block that is a 5 bolt. I have the bell housing as well, although it is for a manual tranny.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts