Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of my 302 rebuild, from an 87 roller 302HO we ran into a few "issues". Firstly, my dad didn't want to change to serpentine belts, and therefore did not want to change the balance to 50oz. So he got the brilliant idea to use a early 302 crankshaft and keep it 28oz balance. AFTER he gets the balancing shop and machine shop stuff almost done, he decides that I should "ask those guys on the internet" about using an early crank in a roller block. Are we going to run into any problems using a roller camshaft and valvetrain on an early 28oz crank/flywheel? We've already got the parts nailed down, he thinks this special flywheel and clutch he got is going to work .. but just mechanically .. is there any reason the type of camshaft would mess with the balance or vice versa?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
All the conversion parts are available for this...good idea but you did it the very hardest way possible! No problem tho, lots of people like to shove stuff uphill.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
From what I remember reading here, you need to machine the rear of the 28 oz crank to work in the late model block because of the one piece rear main seal. No balancing issues I know of, providing that you use the correct 28 oz balancer and flywheel/flexplate. I kept the V-belt setup on my 5.0 with the 50 oz balance but I had to buy the appropriate 50 oz flexplate ($107 from Summit) and balancer ($155 from NPD) to work with the 3-hole pulley. I think machining a 28 oz crank would've been cheaper and perhaps better performance-wise. Try searching the database here for more info. . .

G

·
You could of bought v-belt pullies that fit the 50 oz. balancer (4 Bolt)Part #M8509D 01 from Mustangs Unlimited. Don't forget to change the waterpump, serpentines are reverse rotation. I have also seen 3 bolt 50 oz. balancers Part # 05896 from Mustangs Plus, and other places. You could of also had you balancer rebalanced for 50 oz.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts