Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently and working on putting a 2 spider traction lock in my 67 with a 28 spline 9" rear in it. This rear came out of a 70 mach1 that was 351c4bbl powered. The t lock has a smaller inner and outer size to the bearings in it. I am going to try to get a match up to the inner size of the new t lock and the outer of my old center section. Everything else seems to match up. Its very hard to come up with any part numbers off it and I cannot even find ford scripting on it. Any ideas on how to find out where it came out of? Also, while beating the bearing off it the thing came apart. I have always found people to be scared about touching the insides, but shoot, there is nothing to it. Pulled it all apart, checked clutches and surfaces and everything looks fine to me... Strange.

So why are people afraid of these things and what could it have come out of(why would it have different bearing sizes)?

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
The t lock has a smaller inner and outer size to the bearings in it.

Are you referring to the carrier bearings?

On all 9", 28 sp. carriers I've run across, the carrier bearings had the same inside diameter. Perhaps someone put 28 spline guts in a 31 sp. carrier?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tlock carrier has a smaller inner diameter than my old open 9" unit. everything is 28 spline all the way around. I only have the bearing off the t lock, not the race. But that bearing will not work with the race off my open pinion as it is too small. So what I need is a bearing with the od of 3.065" and an id of 1.609 or so. Kinda strange....

·
Registered
691 Posts
There are a couple of different bearing combinations that are used with Ford Traction loc. The axles spline count does play a part but it also depends on year and it was a truck or a car. They used the 28 spline in trucks too. Give me a call Sunday afternoon and I can tell you the bearing numbers you need. The biggest trick inside the traction is making sure that the clutch hub is sitting all the way down inside the clutches. If not you WILL have problems. Denver 330-472-5042

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Special thanks for your info and help! DENVER IS ONE GREAT MUSTANGER!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts