Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1965 mustang and im gonna pull my engine out. I wanted to know what would be the best engine to put back in the car a 289 (which is what im pulling out) a 302 and a 351. Im wanting to make around 450 hp to the wheels. I have a T-5 also that i blew so im going to put a TKO or a toploader in it and sell the T-5.

So what do you all suggest. I dont want to tubro charge it. Im just looking for the cheapest way to go pretty much. I'll appreciate any suggestions! Thanks.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I think if you are trying to get over 500 at the crank you are going to have to do 351.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
347ci based 289/302 or a 351W are the way to go for that much power. 351W is probably better/cheaper, since the stock block/crank/rods are much stronger than stock 289/302 units. You can split a 5.0L block into 2 pieces at that power level, and a 351W block wouldn't flinch.

No guarantee that you'd kill a 289/302 block at that level, especially with a short fill and/or girdle, and some blocks are stronger than others (a Mexican block *might* take 700hp+ ) but a 351W block is a safer bet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
put a 302 stroked to a 347 in there... it will work great and you have the lower deck height than the 351 so you will have less clearance issues... Ive seen daily driver 347's make over 600hp at the motor, which puts you in the 500's at the wheels. The 302 block has smaller main journals than the 351, so you will be able to get higher RPM's than the 351 and not worry about spinning bearings... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fordicator said:
put a 302 stroked to a 347 in there... it will work great and you have the lower deck height than the 351 so you will have less clearance issues... Ive seen daily driver 347's make over 600hp at the motor, which puts you in the 500's at the wheels. The 302 block has smaller main journals than the 351, so you will be able to get higher RPM's than the 351 and not worry about spinning bearings... :thumbsup:
Would I be able to stroke a 289 block to 347 because i acctually have two different 289 blocks. One thats in the car and one thats a short block that i could start building right away.

What is deck height? Would it have to anything with hook clearance or more to do with headers? Cause i have a 2 1/2 cowl induction hood.

·
Registered
40 Posts
no, a 289 would not be able to be stroked that big. I actually dont know the max you can stroke a 289...
Deck height is how tall the block is, so yes it will change intake and carb height along with how close your headers are to the shock towers... With a 2.5" cowl hood you probably wont have a problem there, but I would double check the available headers for a 351 conversion in a 65 stang...

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
You could (at least with a stock 302 block), but honestly I'd take the safe route and opt for an aftermarket block (R-block, Boss, or Dart) for any 8.2 deck small-block approaching 500 hp at the flywheel. Boss and Dart blocks can be safely bored to 4.125 or 363 cubic inches, so your goal could be obtained very easily.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so i really cant do much with my 289 blocks to get that much power? But i know you can stroke a 351 to a 393. What bolt ons would i need to use to get 500 hp? Would some good heads and a big cfm get me up there with a 347 or 351 potentially 393?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
amorrow02 said:
You could (at least with a stock 302 block), but honestly I'd take the safe route and opt for an aftermarket block (R-block, Boss, or Dart) for any 8.2 deck small-block approaching 500 hp at the flywheel. Boss and Dart blocks can be safely bored to 4.125 or 363 cubic inches, so your goal could be obtained very easily.
A aftermarket block like thoes would be pretty expensive right and rae to find?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
500 streetable hp at the flywheel is cake with a 347 or 363, and when I mention Boss block, I'm referring to the new "Boss" Ford Racing block, which is available from basically any performance retailer. There are plenty of places such as CHP, DSS, Fordstrokers.com, etc that build engines based on these blocks, and that would probably be the fastest and most reasonable way to 450 rwhp for a '65 Mustang.

Price-wise, the new Boss block is around $1600, Dart a bit higher, and I'm unsure what the current price is for a used R-block. Once my '68 302 engine blew, I learned not to rely on old components to make hp...it wasn't worth it having my car blow up after enjoying it less than 500 miles after a four-year restoration.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was acctually looking for a used block wiether it be a 68-69 302 or a 69-71 351w. I wouldnt be that bad off getting a old block would I?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Depends on the shape of the block. Many used blocks will not be rebuildable. Bottom line is plan on spending 5 to 7 grand or more to get 450 rwhp. It will not be cheap wither way you do it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I would personally suggest to go with the 351 if your looking for that type of horsepower. If your looking at a 302 you can only go to around 450hp before you have to start worrying about the block cracking. A 351 can hold up to 700hp safely, much more then what your looking at.

As far as the ford racing boss block, if your going with a 306 or something you would be fine. If your going stroker, which if your looking for that horsepower you would need to. The sleeves are shorter which don't require notching for the bigger strokers but are kinda dangerous for the lower end of the stroke. The world products, man o'war block, or dart block would be a better choice. But your looking at around 2k for a dart block, not sure of the other two.

Also if your going 351, you might decide if your going 351W or 351C. With the Windsor you can find parts a lot easier and cheaper and could build if up very well. Or you can go 351C which might have a little harder time getting parts, but a little easier to get your higher horsepower. Just be aware that the 351C had some oiling problems.

Well good luck with either way.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
There are plenty of people making 450rwhp with production blocks, but I've never heard an expert claim any production block (except maybe Hipo and Mexican blocks) are safe to run over 500 flywheel hp. My '68 block cracked in two places when I broke a valve.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
You can stroke a 289 to a 347...heck, I've seen a 366ci 289, but *that* wasn't exactly simple. :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah im definally planning on going with a 351w I really dont want to have to worry about the block of a 302.

What would i have to do conversion wise with the motor mounts, bell housing and all clearance issues going from a 289 to a 351?

Also I know it'd obviously be better to buy a new block like you guys have been stateing but i mean if i can find a 69-74 351 block that I take into a machine shop and have looked at i could save alot of money. Honestly I dont plan on racing the car much. Its going to sit most of the time but i'll take it out now and then and race here and there but im not going to drive it like a raped ape.. are old blocks really that sketchy of a way to go in my case?

·
I won a special award
7,411 Posts
There's an old saying. It goes "there's no replacement for displacement". Go with a 351w block. You can stroke it to 393 or 408 easily.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hell, when I sucked a valve on my 390, it blew the #7 cylinder out of the inside the block, snapped the rod in half, shot two 3/8" holes through the oil pan, cracked the timing cover on the crown, broke the cam, exploded 3 lifters, and bent 5 of the 3/8" push rods (probably what shot through the pan). Its was straight NASCAR... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
You can do anything with a 289 that you can with a 302..Stroking it to 347 is not a problem..can I ask why the 450 rwhp number?..Do you have any goals in mind other than a hp number?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts