Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 289 block. Is it the same as a 302? Can I build it to be a 302 beefy? What has to be done if so? Thanks - Chris

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
IME, the only difference in the early 6 bolt blocks (disregarding the HP permutations like the HP 289 and Boss 302) is the cylinder walls are a little bit longer in the 302 to support the piston better with the longer stroke of the 3" crank.

Lots of folks put 302 cranks and rods in 289's with no problems and I should suspect you could do the same..

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
For all practical purposes, the 289 and 302 blocks are the same. The 302 has a slightly longer stroke and shorter connecting rods. It is an easy, cheap and safe way to get some more cubic inches.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
The 68 289 blocks were actually 302 blocks with 289 guts. Ford made the 'new' 302 in 68 and used their remaining 289 stock to create the C-code 289. Someone will probably correct me if I'm wrong.

So depending on the year of block, it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
676 Posts
You are correct. My 68 had "302" stamped in the lifter valley, but it was a 289. Good ole Mr. F gave me the run down on that and he said the same thing you did.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I think I'm going to build up my 289!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts