Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's been done, but what are the specific differences and what needs to be modified/replaced to put a 351W in a 64/5 engine bay?
Currently has 65 motor mounts, tri-y's, std trans, p/s, 3 row rad w/ shroud and 7 blade flex fan (ford), export brace.
Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
586 Posts
I almost did that on my '67, but decided to go with a 302 stroked to 347. That way all accessories are reused if needed. If you go with the 351, but ready to change to 65-66 351 swap headers and accessory brackets.

·
Premium Member
10,930 Posts
i'v done it . i used 66 engine mounts,hooker 351W in 65-66 mustang engine swap headers,1969 alternator bracket to head plate if your gonna use the 65 brackets pulleys & water pump. 1969-1970 351W z-bar. radiator my need to be bigger ? get the monte carlo bar to help stiffen the front. ALL 351W use the same bellhousing-flywheel-harmonic balancer as the 289. its an easy swap BUT check to see if the shock towers are sagging with a monte carlo bar before you put the engine in. shock towers do not need cutting or denting. i would weld the spot welded seems on the shock towers while the engine is out. if you decide to stroke a 351W you can make a low rpm daily driver in the 392-427 range that will haul ace and the rest of it to !

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
This car has a 351W in it. You will need some special headers. You can use all the front engine components from a 289. The only little exception is that you will need a little accessory bracket that is unique to the 1969 Mustang that the alternator bolt would normally go into the block. Send me an email if you decide to go this route, I will point you in the direction of where you can get it for like $15.

·
Registered
942 Posts
i'v done it . i used 66 engine mounts,hooker 351W in 65-66 mustang engine swap headers,1969 alternator bracket to head plate if your gonna use the 65 brackets pulleys & water pump. 1969-1970 351W z-bar. radiator my need to be bigger ? get the monte carlo bar to help stiffen the front. ALL 351W use the same bellhousing-flywheel-harmonic balancer as the 289. its an easy swap BUT check to see if the shock towers are sagging with a monte carlo bar before you put the engine in. shock towers do not need cutting or denting. i would weld the spot welded seems on the shock towers while the engine is out. if you decide to stroke a 351W you can make a low rpm daily driver in the 392-427 range that will haul ace and the rest of it to !
I put a '69 351 W into a '65 Falcon MANY years ago way before there were special swap headders made.
We had to use stock (not Hipo even) 289 exhaust manifolds-engine came from a '69 Mach 1 (4v) we used the stock Falcon Z bar which fit fine, if you have a GOOD stock radiator at a minimun you'll be fine in the cooling department.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
351 swap

I knew you guys would be a lot of help.
Would using 69 351W exhaust manifolds also work? I have 2 sets of these, as we used to use them instead of the 289 hi-po manifolds.
I think I have 351W brackets somewhere in the collection, so that part is covered.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts