Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well they are C5AE heads and have one dot over the 289 (the heads are complete and everything is in good condition) everything is numbers matching and the carb is an original c5 ford carb with the ford tag still on it. Everything is in good shape I have not tried to make the carb run but the butterflies open freely. Just wondering if they are anything special or just another set of 289 heads. Just an estimate would be fantastic thanks!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Assuming those are the 65-67 heads which I think they are...they are the small chambered 54cc heads, which are the most "desierable" out of the 289 heads, since they bumped up the chamber size in 68 to lower compression. As far as price, I am not really sure, maybe 100$ for the heads. Intake and carb I have no idea either....someone else will post that has an idea of what they should be worth

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
The heads probably have slotted tight clearance pushrod holes instead of loose fit holes, these are the best stock heads until GT40 heads.

Still, as performancewise, they are just another set of 289 heads, they don't suck as the saying goes, but wheeze. The intake isn't any better and weighs. The carb is ok.

Unless you're into restoration, you might try to sell them as a package through heebey. The Ford tag on the carb is a nice selling point.

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
As 65fast said, they are the 54CC heads which have the smallest chambers and is what is needed to build compression on the 289. Most aftermarket heads are designed more for the 5.0 and 351W and to produce about a 9:1 on 5.0's. As a result have chamber sizes from about 65-65 CC that can make a noticable drop in compression on a 289. The 4100 carb is an excellent unit prized by many people, especially the 480 cfm versions for 289's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts