Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum so my apologies if this is the incorrect place for this post.

I just acquired a 1966 289 C-Code convertible and I noticed that both 289 badges are missing from the front fenders. This is an all original 28k mile car that has been in storage since 1976 (heated garage) and never been disassembled. Does anyone know why the car doesn't have the badges on it? Both fenders are date stamped and match. Car is 100% original paint, so this leaves me puzzled.

I assume it should have them...and if so, where should they be placed?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
It may be my monitor, but that front right fender looks whiter than the door and quarter. Any chance the fender was replaced with a correctly dated fender from a 6 cylinder car? Also, have you taken the wheel off and looked on the back side of the fender to see if there were ever holes in the fender for the 289 emblem?

·
Registered
1966 GT 4spd
1,449 Posts
Could just be the pictures, but the fenders look like a different or brighter white than the rest of the car..... and as @DrHawkeye mentioned, it has been apart in some respects...it takes work to remove the fingers.

Welcome though!! :)

Chris

·
Registered
1966 GT 4spd
1,449 Posts
It may be my monitor, but that front right fender looks whiter than the door and quarter. Any chance the fender was replaced with a correctly dated fender from a 6 cylinder car? Also, have you taken the wheel off and looked on the back side of the fender to see if there were ever holes in the fender for the 289 emblem?
JINX!!! lol

Chris

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts

1) Fenders were replaced, or repaired and the holes filled

2) Badges removed and holes filled

They are big holes for the emblems. It will be easy to see looking up there.

While I want to embrace the mileage, a car put up in 1976, being 10 years old, it would not be uncommon for the odometer to have flipped, but since it only goes to 99999, it will "restart" to zero. These cars were driven, and I would look a LOT harder for other clues. 12K a year would have an odometer 28K.

This is NOT a criticism, but if you are unfamiliar with where the 289 emblems would be, it would appear there is a rather significant knowledge gap that someone with more expertise should look at the car for clues as to originality and possible hidden issues.

Please enjoy it, and there are a lot of people on this site that would love to peer at a true low mileage car.

Ironically today, I was asked to help on the Air conditioning on unmolested original 1964 1/2 car, and the first thing that was shown to me was a 1966 unit, and under the hood was a mismash of 1967 Ford 289 brackets and aftermarket pulley.

But it was stated as all original.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
View attachment 806738

1) Fenders were replaced, or repaired and the holes filled

2) Badges removed and holes filled

They are big holes for the emblems. It will be easy to see looking up there.

While I want to embrace the mileage, a car put up in 1976, being 10 years old, it would not be uncommon for the odometer to have flipped, but since it only goes to 99999, it will "restart" to zero. These cars were driven, and I would look a LOT harder for other clues. 12K a year would have an odometer 28K.

This is NOT a criticism, but if you are unfamiliar with where the 289 emblems would be, it would appear there is a rather significant knowledge gap that someone with more expertise should look at the car for clues as to originality and possible hidden issues.

Please enjoy it, and there are a lot of people on this site that would love to peer at a true low mileage car.

Ironically today, I was asked to help on the Air conditioning on unmolested original 1964 1/2 car, and the first thing that was shown to me was a 1966 unit, and under the hood was a mismash of 1967 Ford 289 brackets and aftermarket pulley.

But it was stated as all original.
Thanks Mustangerbob1.

When I was asking where they went, I meant dimentionally on the fender as to how far off the edges or key points.

I appreciate the feedback, but the car was part of a 68+ car collection where the owner collected Mustangs and Boss 429’s over the course of 40 years. This was part of his estate, where independent appraisers have come in to verify the condition and milage of each car. This car is well documented from its original purchase in NC on 2/14/66 from Sanders Sales & Service to its move to VA in 1970, a small stint in NV when the original owner’s daughter went to the University of Nevada in 1973, and then the purchase to Ohio in 1976 where the collector put it in storage with other low milage cars in conditioned garages.

All the pans are 100% original with original spot welds. Floor bottoms have original oxide primer overspray with no undercoating. I have attached underbody photos. Headlamps still have the FoMoCo labels on them. Engine has original chalk marks. I even had an independent restorer come out to verify the mils on the paint, and it is all original so this is why I posted the question about the fenders being odd. I agree with the thought that maybe the fenders were switched at one time, but there is even the original sealant under the fender lips where they attach to the rails.

I’ll keep everyone posted on what I find as I get the wheels removed, since it currently at a local restorer going through the process of getting it recommissioned.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
64.5 Vert
150 Posts
I have a 64.5 early (day 9 build) that seems to have come without any badges on the front fender. I think the "fingers" were part of a trim package that not all cars got. Maybe badging was not offered on certain trim levels.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
I have a 64.5 early (day 9 build) that seems to have come without any badges on the front fender. I think the "fingers" were part of a trim package that not all cars got. Maybe badging was not offered on certain trim levels. View attachment 811638
It appears that this car was shaved, all trim removed, at some point. No 260 or 289, no pistol grips, no running horse, no Mustang on the sides. This was not that uncommon in the 70's to "clean" the lines by stripping off all the trim during a repaint.

There was not, that I have ever seen discussed, secret or special trim packages that not all cars got, or badging not offered on certain trim levels, etc.

I am open to proof on such ideas.

The pistol grips / fingers were deleted on the GT's due to striping. There were some special emblems like ski package, high country, blue bonnet, etc., and who knows what a dealer might have done.

·
Registered
1966 GT 4spd
1,449 Posts
Sure looks like pop rivits along back of convertable under seat pan?!
Its paint, primer dripping from being applied too wet. I have seen that on many cars....

Chris

·
Registered
1966 GT 4spd
1,449 Posts
Sure looks too uniform to be that but guess its posible
Yeah, maybe someone else can chime in. I haven’t seen that car in person, just seen similar things on other Mustangs

Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts