Vintage Mustang Forums banner

141 - 160 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Allen T, to get the most from E85, you should have static compression between 12~14. The summer blend is rated @ 109 R+M/2, but the much increased latent heat of vaporization makes it seem like more. You'll want a carb setup just for that. Cost is $ 1.85~2.35 per gallon around here right now ( SW Michigan ). Cost of carb is about the same, but you have to have an E85 knowledgeable guy set it up. LSG

·
Registered
652 Posts
I’ll be in Kershaw, SC on 3/14 and 3/15 at Carolina Motorsports Park. Come on down. They don’t allow passengers, but you can watch.
Hey Patrick, do ya'll run Mustangs down there? When I started building my car I was interested in the Park, at the time they told me the only vintage racing they did was a Vette club from the Charleston area. The track is probably 45 minutes from my house

·
Registered
358 Posts
Alright, so I’m officially jumping in at 412hp and 386tq. I think that a lot of the higher guesses would be more accurate if it was dyno’d without any of the front accessories on it (i.e. electric water pump and no alternator at all).

·
Super Moderator
9,054 Posts
Hey Patrick, do ya'll run Mustangs down there? When I started building my car I was interested in the Park, at the time they told me the only vintage racing they did was a Vette club from the Charleston area. The track is probably 45 minutes from my house
I will be the only vintage car there based on the roster. Typical so far for all the HPDE events I have attended. The events are typically hosted by area Porsche clubs. However, they accept anyone’s money.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I see, thanks, sounds interesting Patrick, sorry Turnall for the hijack, but since I'm here 433.5 and 393

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
A crisis avoided today, thanks @patrickstapler. As of now it's T-60 hours. If you want to get a guess in, go ahead before Friday. I'm upping the ante to a 6 pack (can be beer or a soft drinks, hey it's all for fun).

Come Friday it will be all business. I'll get everything loaded and head to Huntsville around noon, putting me there ~6:00 pm CST.

@subpar63 asked earlier what the builder thinks, well, if it's over 400 HP and 350 lbs/ft TRQ, I'll be happy. If it blows or we're not able to dyno it, I'll be bummed. Anything over these numbers will be icing on the cake for me.

Let me get this out of the way, if we can't pull it off, I'll be with good company and making a few memories. I can't put a price on that...

Allen

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
The link said 580hp in competition trim. I’m guessing they’re not 289 cid anymore. If they’re making 2hp per cubic inch at 8,000rpm they’ve got some magic going on...especially for only $25k.
It needs to be pretty special to squeeze 2 hp/ci. A buddy was able to get 635hp with a nice flat curve out of a 310 thanks to the folks at Roush. It was dry sump and made up from many left over Trans-Am parts. He managed a SCCA GT1 national championship with that mill in the early/mid 90's

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Official time to be on site is 8:30 CST Saturday. So we are now T-36 hours. It's been raining in SE Alabama, so I didn't load the engine tonight. I will load the it in the morning along with what I hope is everything I/we need. Tomorrow will be pretty busy as I have business to do, packages coming in (one that I need for the engine) and of course loading everything up. I'm hoping to be on the road around noon, maybe a little later.

Not sure there will be much communication after tonight but hopefully I can post results Saturday night. @silverblueBP said spin it to 8500, I guess if it holds together it's good to go, hehehe. He was joking.

Wish me/us luck (@patrickstapler is the us part). I can't thank him enough for his help in setting this up.

Go big or go home...

Allen

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
You could always "facebook live" it for us :p I'm sure it would be more interesting than most of the live videos I've come across.

In all seriousness though wishing you guys the best.

John

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
You could always "facebook live" it for us :p I'm sure it would be more interesting than most of the live videos I've come across.

In all seriousness though wishing you guys the best.

John
You wouldn't be able to make out the blurry video from my hand shaking... :LOL:

I plan to video it, just not live. I'll post up the good, the bad, and the ugly...

Allen

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
My wife Jan (marketing degree) said no way are you giving the winner a 6 pack of beer!!!

She suggested:

#1 prediction gets a T-shirt and a 18 pack.
#2 prediction gets a T-shirt and a 12 pack
#3 prediction gets a T-shirt

Short notice I know, but at least you can get a T-shirt out of the deal as well...

So there. As long as you post your predictions before I post the results, you're in.

If this thing fails I may just send everyone a T-shirt...:cautious:

Allen

·
Registered
601 Posts
Official time to be on site is 8:30 CST Saturday. So we are now T-36 hours. It's been raining in SE Alabama, so I didn't load the engine tonight. I will load the it in the morning along with what I hope is everything I/we need. Tomorrow will be pretty busy as I have business to do, packages coming in (one that I need for the engine) and of course loading everything up. I'm hoping to be on the road around noon, maybe a little later.

Not sure there will be much communication after tonight but hopefully I can post results Saturday night. @silverblueBP said spin it to 8500, I guess if it holds together it's good to go, hehehe. He was joking.

Wish me/us luck (@patrickstapler is the us part). I can't thank him enough for his help in setting this up.

Go big or go home...

Allen
From what I can tell from your build, your engine seems like it should be able to handle 8500 rpm no problem. I doubt you will break that forged set up you have for internals. Week link might be the block. Can't remember what block you are running.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
From what I can tell from your build, your engine seems like it should be able to handle 8500 rpm no problem. I doubt you will break that forged set up you have for internals. Week link might be the block. Can't remember what block you are running.
'67 289 block.

Allen

141 - 160 of 267 Posts