Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to build the power of my 289. I've already got a Edelbrock Perf. RPM Intake and Edelbrock Carb, Hedders, and the exhaust done. I need more power!! I want to run with the big boys...5.0 stangs, 350 chevys, ect. Besides what I already have what are your suggestions. This is excluding a supercharger and nitrous. Thanks for the help.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
a hotter cam would wake that up like a snap plus a hotter ignition

·
Registered
239 Posts
Howdy, all that new manifold and carby would go really well with a nice cam, good/ larger valve job and if you balanced the whole lot it would really rev easy and well into the 6000-7000 range,so be carefull and a good rear end ratio like maybe a 3:50 , have fun and good luck/forums/images/icons/cool.gif/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
21,274 Posts
Put in a 5.0! Seriously, right of the bat, you're down on displacement, not a drastic amount, but when you don't have a lot to begin with, everything makes a difference. Next is what makes the 5.0 such an animal, the roller cam. By the time you spend all the money to put a roller cam retro kit...you could have picked up a good used 5.0 motor.

Anouther problem with the 289, the heads have small chambers. Most of the aftermarket heads along with Ford heads is that the combustion chamber is about a good 10 CC or better, resulting in about a full point loss in compression.

Look to Explorers for a 5.0. These had much better cylinder heads then the 5.0 Mustangs. The first Explorer heads were GT40's. Then they went to G40P heads which are a better head yet but you'll need specific headers to work, such as MAC's.

You should be able to find a good used low milage Explorer motors in the wrecking yards, God enough of them rolled over! Just swap out the stock roller cam for a good one and re-use your intake, you'll have a screamer for not a lot of money!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Edelbrock heads. You can pick 'em up used with roller rockers for $800-$900.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Without knowing the rear end and transmission it is hard to know. Is your 289 an orignal 2 barrell or 4 barrell engine?

My setup works pretty well and is pretty mild. You can check my bio for more info.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's got the stock 2.80 rear end and a 3 speed auto. As for my mechanical skills, I'm learning as I go. I'm getting pretty good with figuring stuff out but I have a friend who knows just about everything so he helps me all the time. I was offered a 65 with a 351 for $800. The car is in pieces, I just want the engine. Is it worth it? The car is rust free and I would plan on reselling the parts or using them on my own. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The heads on the engine may be good for a swap onto your 289. Also, if it is a roller 351, you can swap the roller lifters and spider into your 289 and get a matching cam. Again, it's hard to say without knowing more specifics of your engine and the 351 in question.

You can swap the 351 into your car, but if it's an emission control-choked mid-70s engine, it wouldn't be worth it.

To simply improve acceleration, swapping the 2.80 for a lower (numerically higher) rear end would be the fastest, easiest, cheapest way to go.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Given your rear end, the performer RPM is a bit much, a regular Performer would be better. The Performer RPM will give you more room to grow with other mods.

A set of 3.50-3.55 gears will give you an immediate improvement.

A 204/214 .448/.472 is a torquey cam that would is good for some extra H.P. in a mild engine. Add a shift kit to your transmission for a little more snap in your shifts. (Plus it saves wear on your tranny. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif really)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts