Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
building a mild 289 for dad's daily driver. 10:1 comp, cobra intake, 4100 or holley 600, hipo exhaust manifolds. 4 speed car. It likely will not see over 5500 rpm. Need suggestions on a camshaft -- I was thinking of a hyd version of the hipo cam (471 lift ??? duration) I previously had a 460 lift, 288 dur (i think) cam in this motor and it was a bit more rumble than dad really liked. Any ideas about a good cam. Also considering a set of heads. I am trying to keep the price w/in reason so I am not going with new alum heads. 351W heads are an idea, but are they much better than the early 289 heads I have? What is a fair price for the good (69-70) 351w heads? Any other ideas? Please keep in mind that I will be driving this car a little harder than dad on occasion ::

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
the D00E heads are a decent low-cost upgrade, but you will need to account for the lost compression (their chambers are larger).

Why not check out the Edelbrock Performer cam - its a popular 'step up from stock' cam that works well with mild upgrades like you are describing.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Lman took the words right out of my mouth, or off my keyboard, or ... whatever ::

I put the Edelbrock Performer cam in my daughter's otherwise stock 302 (except it has a Performer intake, Edelbrock carb, and FlowTech full length headers). It's a good little cam for some "spirited driving" and works well with the other stock components. It also has pretty smooth idle.

I also agree on the 351w heads IF you shave them. Otherwise the compression loss over the 289 heads will probably more than offset the added flow and bigger valves.

Fair price for the 351w heads? Depends on the condition of the heads and what, if anything's been done to them. I paid $250, IIRC, for my '69 351w heads with screw in studs and guide plates. This was from a good friend, though, and part of a package deal when I bought about $800 or so from 66gt350 when he was moving from Sacramento to Anderson, and needed to relieve his garage of a ton of parts *LOL*.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I'm just wondering if 10:1 is a little high for the Performer cam. Seems to me the lobe separation is 114 degrees (going off the top of my head) which helps to build a lot of cylinder pressure. But then if he goes with the 351 heads and drops 1/2 a point on the static compression it might be just right. Anyway, I'm going to bed....

- Gord

·
Registered
633 Posts
Don't know much about the Edelbrock setup (so I'm not disagreeing with other posters) but I've been toying with the idea of a cam swap on my 289. I had a Fastback years ago with a Comp Cams 268 Energizer. It was a very good street cam with great manors and pulled very good from off-idle to 5500. I've been looking very hard at the newer split-profile Comp Cams Xtreme Energy grinds - they look really good and I've heard nothing but good things about them on other boards. Seems the Ford heads (weak exhaust ports) really like those split-profile cams with more lift/duration on the exhaust side. Just something to look at. Good luck!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 289 with '69 351W heads, 1.90, 1.60 valves. Ichose the flat top pistons (10-1) and my theoretical compression is 9.3 as I recall. I run regular gas. The cam is an Ultradyne 221 degrees @ .050. If I had my druthers, I would go to a split cam...I have the cast iron hi-po manifolds, and they are certainly the weak link in the motor (my old equal length headers made a lotta power) but I have not had a header leak nor tightened a bolt since 1989! Anyway, I think a bit more lift/duration on the exhaust is a good plan, on a mid-rpm setup.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Another thought...if the old cam(which specs close to what I have) was a bit "lumpy" for your Dad, you'll want to keep the duration down to , oh, 210 degees or so., possibly the Performer cam as suggested or a 210-216 split cam? Think response and torque. I wish I had. Also, the 351 heads, I dunno, maybe lower gears , discs and swaybars are better places to spend the $ for an all-around improvement.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely going with SSBC disks, f & r sway bars, tri-ys and a 3:50 gear. After all, I will be driving this car as well. :: I think the hipo solid cam was 471 lift with 218 dur and it was not that hot. I might try something with a little more dur.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts