Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my 289 block sitting on a stand with the heads off, and the pistons and rods removed. I have taken off the "ring" shaped cover that holds my cam in place, and I am now trying to "pull" it out. It won't budge. It slides about a half an inch, but it still feels like its "pressed in". Do I need a special tool?

G

·
0 Posts
You didn't say, but I'm assuming you've removed the lifters? They'll keep the camshaft in there if not.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Just keep working it back and forth..it will slide out..you might try a screw driver down one of the oil holes in the block and see if you can just nudge the cam a bit..but be careful..don't scratch the bearings also put the bolt back in the snout..it gives you a bit more to grab when you yank

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Just to add, threading in a piece of all-thread or a long bolt into the end of the cam (where the sprocket bolt goes) will make removal (and installation *G*) much easier.

Care must be taken to avoid damaging the cam bearing surfaces and this is quite easy to do, with the sharp edges of the cam lobes and the tight clearances...

Take your time and don't force anything and get back to us if you need more guidance...

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts