Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received the engine back from the machine shop and went to install the dampner on the front end.

Two questions:

1) As I press the dampner back onto the crank, how far should I go with it until I am confident it is on? Should the end of the crank be flush with the internal flat surface of the dampner, thereby allowing me to place the large flat washer and bolt against both surfaces? Or should the end of the crank be somewhat below the surface of the dampner bolt area?

2) Since the machine shop already installed the oil pan I have no means to keep the crank from turning while I attempt to torque the dampner bolt down to 80lbs/ft. The service manual states to wedge a large screwdriver between the crank and the block but this is only possible if the pan is not installed. I've "McGuivered" a solution wherby I took the alternator bracket arm and two screws to the front of the dampner to give me some opposing force leverage. Does this sound like it will suffice?

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
The dampner should slide on only so far but far enough so that you engage the woodruff key. Then proceed to tighten it as required. You will not be able to install it all the way on by hand.

Install flywheel bolts and use a wedge to stop the crank from turning while you tighten the dampner.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Just torque the dampner bolt to specs. When it's to specs, the dampner is on as far as it needs to go. You can keep the crank from turning by puting a couple of flywheel/flexplate bolts into the back side and use a breaker bar or something to hold it (use a helper here).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts